Managing video material/loops
  • dj_iKE

Managing video material/loops

by dj_iKE » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:54 pm

I recently did my first serious gig (6 hours in a club) and I noticed that one of the trickiest things is to manage/find the right video loops at the right time.

The weeks before I had prepared quite a lot of material but I did unfortionately not prepare detailed projects within modul8. As I did this live I had to be fast at finding loops in the Finder/Path Finder but this didn't work too well.

I was wondering if any of the Modul8 users have any suggestions on this... Has anyone tried iDive? Is it any good and is it easy to drag and drop to Modul8?
  • mannikin
    activ8 member

Re: Managing video material/loops

by mannikin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi,

Fortunately, I haven't had to switch out any media when I'm performing! I do understand your delimma. If M8 ends up integrating a great media browser, it would be an awesome improvement. iDive looks pretty interesting, but I'd rather have that integrated into the app, and not as an external program. I'm also curious to find out how other M8 users switch out media during their sets. Using the Finder is very clunky. :)

John

dj_iKE wrote:I recently did my first serious gig (6 hours in a club) and I noticed that one of the trickiest things is to manage/find the right video loops at the right time.

The weeks before I had prepared quite a lot of material but I did unfortionately not prepare detailed projects within modul8. As I did this live I had to be fast at finding loops in the Finder/Path Finder but this didn't work too well.

I was wondering if any of the Modul8 users have any suggestions on this... Has anyone tried iDive? Is it any good and is it easy to drag and drop to Modul8?
    S Y N F O N Y<> S T U D I O S
    powerbook G4 15"
    Tiger / 2GB RAM
    Korg microKontrol
    modul8 V2
    http://www.synfony.com
  • stuart
    activ8 member

by stuart » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:19 pm

how other M8 users switch out media during their sets

I don't. Each m8 file has the full 80 clips stored and allocated to the 16 layer sets. I don't improvise compositionally very much in the live setting though. When I am done cranking through all 16 sets I swith to DVD source, quit M8, relaunch and load in new file with new media.
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:44 pm

I would -like- to switch order and or contents during a set... seems like a highly useful feature to me.

John
    vjfj

by vjfj » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:23 pm

if you want to switch i think the easiest solution is to have 2 computers and create theme-oriented sets saved as projects that you can load easily into one computer while the other is playing. a DVD player could work also if you have only one computer. seems to me i remember performance of M8 slowing down while new clips are being loaded.
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:44 pm

I appreciate your response, but buying another computer hardly seems like the "easiest" solution! Other "vj" programs can load and add clips while playing... media management is a real weakness of M8.

Cheers,

John
    vjfj

by vjfj » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:52 am

JJHP3 wrote:I appreciate your response, but buying another computer hardly seems like the "easiest" solution! Other "vj" programs can load and add clips while playing... media management is a real weakness of M8.

Cheers,

John

i understand. hmm, i'd be interested which program you know that can simultaneously read (loading) clips from a drive while playing other clips and still not take an instant performance hit? I know Grid Pro will do what you want (add and delete complete sets of clips while performing) but again the performance things is an issue. this is why i like to load up all clips if possible beforehand, so my frame rate doesn't drop to 3 or 4 fps. otherwise a DVD is still the cheapest/easiest answer...
    chromafresh
    super8 member

by chromafresh » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:23 pm

That Modul8 can do what it does, with the performance it has, is pretty amazing. This isn't to discount peoples needs or anything, but because clips are loaded into memory for quick and smooth playback, deleting clips, and reloading new ones is going to hit the software pretty heavily no matter what. If any software out there that "allows clips to be easily unloaded and loaded" can do what Modul8 does, with Modul8's performance, I'd love to know about it.
    I'm curious to see how the new clip bank with its 150 clips is going to perform with 2.5. I seem to remember Yves or Boris suggesting that they would have to rewrite some of the program from scratch to do this!!