[Suggestion] Layer Locking
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

[Suggestion] Layer Locking

by Akira » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:20 pm

Hey guys,

A couple of peeps askedme of a way to do this, but I am afraid modul8 doesn't suport it.

Could there be some sort of switch that locks a layer? If clicked, the layer cannot be moved or modified at all. Could be useful for certain masks or backgrounds you want to keep all the time and would not let you screw them up no matter what you do!

Add it to the huge sug's list ;)

Cheers ;)
  • vj123
    activ8 member

by vj123 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:36 am

"This is not a basic feature, this is a very specific need you got...
    There is no point in adding features like this, as you said, if you want to keep it simple, there's no need to add crap..."

didn't you tell this to me in my post ?
    and now you want THAT 'feature' ?
    pffff. :twisted:
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:25 am

vj123 wrote:didn't you tell this to me in my post ?
    and now you want THAT 'feature' ?
    pffff. :twisted:

I posted it on someone's behalf.
    Do you consider this to be a crap adition? and to be very specific? If so, voice your opinion, feel free.

Can you do this with the modules system? NO

Now, if you want to flame me just because I voiced my opinion over your suggestions, pease do it, but specify it in your posts.

Regards.
  • Philippe F.

Layer lock

by Philippe F. » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:36 am

Hello,
    It would be a very helpful option to me also to avoid "accidents" during live actions, specially when a layer is playing the main audio !
    Best,
    Philippe
    www.dieform.net
  • eskatonia

by eskatonia » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:41 pm

this is not a very specific need, it's a very common requirement.

ever want to play on a screen that's shaped anything other than a boring rectangle?

for some of us we almost never mix on flat square screens and this layer locking feature would be great.
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:59 am

eskatonia wrote:this is not a very specific need, it's a very common requirement.

ever want to play on a screen that's shaped anything other than a boring rectangle?

for some of us we almost never mix on flat square screens and this layer locking feature would be great.

Well for that, version 2 point 5 includes a masking system, you can check it ut in the preview at the main site :)

Layer locking still has some vry useful applications!
  • benga

by benga » Fri May 29, 2009 10:51 am

layer locking would in my opinion add a lot to the software as it would give it more appeal to people working in theatre / dance stage settings where one is actually following a precise, fixed scene per scene setup.

which is a basic way of working, with light or sound.

i'm currently doing this for a dance piece for a young audience, and the potential to mess up during performance is giving me nightmares.

by messing up, I mean accidently moving a layer, clicking in the wrong place. I'm interacting for 40 minutes with a dancer using a graphic tablet and a BCF2000, moving elements which a fixed background movie plays; nothing fancy, but i have to concentrate on the stage action, and hop between layers.

the fact that there is no way to set up the show and lock it is, in this specific case, quite frightening.
    I remember reading a post by someone who used modul8 in a opera, and i think these directions are great because modul8 has the capacity to do great things with an reactivity that i've rarely seen.
    It's great for working on stage because settings take very little time.

but it's also really not adaptated to such work without an option to lock at least the layers once the work is done. this is simply not possible. I'm doing it now, but it's incredibly dangerous.

and also it doesn't feel very professional to have a great tool, but one which is also so insecure to use in a precise setting.
    it's just basic security, to secure a show. this layer will not move up or down if i click it wrong. The layer will display this media with these settings.

how many times, in such situations, have I ended up with the wrong layer selected while setting up- not while playing.
    in high concentration live moments, this could be catastrophic, and no matter how great modul8 is, not having an option to lock things down, or secure settings, makes unsuited for precise stage work.

which is only, in my opinion, a lock / secure layer, secure media to layer, secure settings function away.

as of now, modul8 is simply too dangerous to use in contexts requiring precision, not because of a software incapacity, but simply because of the inability to lock things down once one's happy with them, thus making sure nothing will move, and things will be there when they should.

i understand this use is more specific to people using modul8 on stage with fixed shows rather than performances.
    A specific need, sure, but also one of the most basic, necessary, common requirements of working on stage in a non improvised setting....

but with simple lock functions modul8 could easily become a common tool in main stage pieces, theatre, dance, opera, you name it. it works. it's just not adapted because of the lack of set security.
    as of now using modul8 in such settings is really living on the edge.

b
    Last edited by benga on Sat May 30, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    cie sisyphe heureux
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 am

While we're on to the wish list, what about undo?
    That would be sweet!
    zoophar
    activ8 member

by zoophar » Sun May 31, 2009 1:28 pm

ok i''l post my request also...

> shortcut to: ' STOP ALL MODULES'

tried n applescript via terminal via python (osascript)
    but it doesn't work in "modul8 for modul8".
    (so i did a 'quicksilver' shotcut...)

here is the Applescript for the ones interested:

Code: Select all

tell application "System Events"
       tell process "Modul8"
          tell menu bar 1
             tell menu bar item "Modules"
                tell menu 1
                   tell menu item "Stop All" to click
                end tell
             end tell
          end tell
       end tell
    end tell

note that applescripts via terminal works in modul8 for other apps (ex: tell Itunes to play a specific playlist...)

> other request: also a line indication in the module editor would be great ;-)

Cheers
    ehe ;-)
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Sun May 31, 2009 1:44 pm

+ 1 Locking Layers
    Yeah locking layers would be f.... handy. More than enough times I've pressed the wrong layer and had something go live when I didn't want it.
    eyeborg

by eyeborg » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 pm

agree!!! we need to lock layers.
    eyeborg.co.uk