How to record a set with A/V?
  • insane insan

How to record a set with A/V?

by insane insan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:39 am

Im trying to record a set here, but all im gettin' is only video?
    plz help! :idea:
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:27 pm

modul8 does not record audio input.
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:51 pm

If you are sending audio 'out' from M8 and want to record that and the video output from M8 then use an external recording device.
    I've no idea whether or not 'Record to Disc' does audio but you would need some machine to accomplish that!
    If you want to record audio 'in' (say from a dj or band) at the same time as your visuals then use an external recording device - vhs recorder or dv cam.
    If you are using an external device and can't record audio & video then it is either a cable, some settings somewhere or a system preferences issue not an M8 issue.
  • moonbase
    super8 member

by moonbase » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:52 pm

Doh ... Timing is important too ...
    Basically what Akira said but with lots more words!!!!
    :D
  • studioc
    activ8 member

by studioc » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:21 pm

Yeah, what I've been doing is streaming the video to a portable DVD recorder and recording audio on a second machine with a Motu 896 and AKG 4000Bs into LIVE. Then marrying up (relinking) the audio and the video in FCP. The DVD recorder is the cheapest solution for me, but it compresses to Mpeg-2. I just don't have access to a DV video recorder with ins and outs I need ins and outs so that I can create a chain. Like DV camera to computer (firewire) mixed in M8, out from Computer to dvrecorder, out to projector. If you want good sound, the second audio set up is essential. Or if your DV camera has an external mike input, one could settle for that. But the high end mikes use phantom power, hence the MOTU 896 into computer rig. The m-audio microtrack looked really nice to me at first, then we found that it did NOT have the 48 volts phantom power that was secified. Only 30 volts. So, it could probably record via my 4000Bs, but at a possible drop in mike sensitivity. So why spend $400 US $ on something that you are uncertain of? And add $200 for a 4 gig flashdrive. Go figure! So, I am really still in the "let's figure out the most inexpensive and elegant solution" phase. By the way, thanks, Akira, for reminding us that M8 doesn't record sound. :) And I don't really want it to, as it would probably take a p[erformance hit. That is, unless these new intel macs at 256 Mbs on the graphics and a fast processor and a 7200 rpm HD could handle all that with room to spare.... - Then, yeah, an AV dream come true. like, record audio and logical record the video. Recording audio and video to the HD on the fly sounds like a project for the year 2015. 8)
    The Revolution must be televised!
  • insane insan

by insane insan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:09 am

thanx guys.
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:32 am

studioc wrote:Yeah, what I've been doing is streaming the video to a portable DVD recorder and recording audio on a second machine with a Motu 896 and AKG 4000Bs into LIVE. Then marrying up (relinking) the audio and the video in FCP.

Sort of what I did, except for the high end gear :P

I recorded a set while listening to an MP3, and then synced this set to the music in FCP.

Result can be seen at http://kikencorp.com :)
  • insane insan

by insane insan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:45 pm

thanx for your advice AKIRA.
    i also checked your site some good stuff there.
    what do you use for VJ's i mean whats your " UNIT "

Mac /PC? software?
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:28 pm

Obviously a MAc running modul8.
    It's one of the latest iBook G4 s
  • Bucharest
    activ8 member

by Bucharest » Fri May 05, 2006 6:38 am

OK.......I will give you 2 good sugestions-first the cheapest ..................you can buy from http://www.griffintechnology.com/produc ... /index.php iMic 2.0-USB Audio Interface......It's comming with recording software and a cable for about $39.You can route the stereo from the dj mixer into this small sound card ,than you connect I Mic 2.0 via usb cable into your computer , adjust your setings into the recording software wich is Final Vinyl and you are ready to go.Now the second one you can buy DMC Xclef 500 that can store up to 3,500 hours of music from http://www.digmind.com/store/index_500.html it is more expensive but you don't have to overload you computer with extra tasks,you can connect this to the dj mixer than import this later to your computer via a sound card.This is comming with 100 gb hard drive.Anyway it is good to have both of them because you will need a sound card to,you need to import the sound in a way or another and I Mic 2.0 it is cheap plus it's comming with software ( Final Vinyl).And I have another choice ,this one I didn't tryed it yet, but it's possible to work - IOMEGA 60GB ScreenPlay http://www.iomega.com/direct/products/d ... d-info-nav Please let me know what do you think about ........
    Cristian
    Last edited by Bucharest on Fri May 05, 2006 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Bucharest
    activ8 member

by Bucharest » Fri May 05, 2006 6:56 am

And for the second step you can ad the sound to the video in a cheap video editor......or a free one ,try this one HYPERENGINE-AV http://www.arboretum.com/products/hyper ... _main.html
    I hope that it will work for you.......
    Cristian
  • insane insan

by insane insan » Sun May 07, 2006 12:16 am

Cristian, some interesting options there, i will have to see how they work with my problem, but thanx anyways.