Blending 2 SXGA+ projectors
  • INAUDV

Blending 2 SXGA+ projectors

by INAUDV » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am

Hello, i need to do a video permanent installation with 2 large venue projectors, 15000 lumens each, and a maximum resolution about 2048x1536. i think 2 of them will give me 4096 X 3072. I was thinking about the best way to blend the images once on the place, could TripleHead by Matrox be the solution?. And also i wonder about the best hardware to achieve the best performance, Mac, off course but, which videocard is the appropriate to cover the necessity?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Jesús Davs
    gmint
    ultim8 member

Re: Blending 2 SXGA+ projectors

by gmint » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Well, first and foremost, two projectors won't give you 4096 x 3072, it will give you either 4096 x 1536 or 2048 x 3072 depending on the orientation. Furthermore, if you're doing two projectors, you want a DualHead2Go, not a TripleHead, and even at that, I'm not certain you can get that type of resolution out of that box...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • INAUDV

by INAUDV » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:14 am

Ok, thank you! I also wondered if there is a lens capable of projecting an image of 24 meters by 20 meters over a distance of 30 meters or so?
    Jesús Davs
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:21 pm

INAUDV wrote:Ok, thank you! I also wondered if there is a lens capable of projecting an image of 24 meters by 20 meters over a distance of 30 meters or so?

Well, you've neglected to mention what make or model your projectors are, but save that, I'm guessing the best source for that info would be the manufacturer--not a VJ software's forum. Not to mention that 24/20 is not a 4/3 aspect ratio, which is apparently what your projectors are...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 pm

I helped mapping a building in geneva, we overlayed 4 10'000 lumens projectors to get a better power. As you can see on the attached file, the building is on the top right of the map, it's around 40 meters wide and we projected from the small narrow bridge at the bottom right of the image which is something like 80 meters far from the building.

Of course, the image was larger but the medias were prepared to be mapped on the building and all the parts we didn't want image on it were masked.

Technically, we only did keystoning on the projector to get a perfect overlay between the 4 projectors the same source was used on all the projectors. The medias were just arranged to fit the building perfectly using mad mapper.
    Attachments
    Screenshot 2012-01-27 à 17.41.52.png
    Screenshot 2012-01-27 à 17.41.52.png (594.18 KiB) Viewed 10073 times
  • INAUDV

by INAUDV » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 am

Hi there!!

thank you very much guys for your help... in fact, i want to show you a picture of the building and the projectors that we are thinking will be the best options, and the lenses too!! i hope u can check it out and give some advise about it!!! The projectors are 2 FLM R 22+. And we've just watched these options too (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... _with.html.)
    And we think that with the TLD 0.73:1 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... _73_1.html.)
    We can guarantee the correct fit and development of the screen. For mapping, we will use Modul8 and MadMapper and the keystones that these projectors have. For media, will incorporate 3D animations, that will be made in the right resolution according with the projectors.
    ViaCorporativa.jpg
    Thank you again!!
    ViaCorporativa.jpg (108.96 KiB) Viewed 10042 times
    Jesús Davs
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:49 am

the orbital head thing is not really useful and you can spare some money using the regular version of this projector.
    from experience, barco is not a great long term investment too, but this will definitely do the trick.

the perspective doesn't help much but your projectors house seems very close to the building. maybe that's why you consider the orbital head? in this case, you might have some lightness problem (very light at the bottom of the building and darker at the top… not to mention resolution drop).

But with this kind of projector and this kind of building you won't have too much trouble. the residual light from the buildings around can be your biggest pain.
  • INAUDV

by INAUDV » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:13 am

Indeed, the short range that we have for place the projectors has been, until now, our biggest doubt about the viability of the project. But searching and of course the budget will take us to these options to achieve the goal. This gonna be, in case of approving, a permanent installation. So the thing that you mention about the Barco brand is really concerning to me. We were considering Christie too, but their prices are a little higher.
    Jesús Davs
  • INAUDV

by INAUDV » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 am

And, for incredible that it can look, in B&H in New York, they have it in stock, a FLM r22+ with the orbital head in a lower price than the normal model, and thinking about our lenses options, is worth it to buy this orbital head model i think.
    Jesús Davs
  • INAUDV

by INAUDV » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am

Did you use some kind of image processor in that work in the 40 Mts wide building that you've just post the photo ??? something like this? (Christie Spyder X20 image processor) ??
    Jesús Davs
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:05 pm

I was there when the guys setup the projectors and si I remember, the signal was only splitted into the 4 projectors and they used the internal keystone and lenshift of each projectors. They have a software to control the projector using rj-45 connection.

In the end it was exactly like using one projector. I used mad mapper to correct the images an other guy created based on a photo he took with his camera from around the place we placed the projectors.

easy cheesy ;)
  • INAUDV

by INAUDV » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:43 am

Once again thank you guys!!! was pretty helpful to ask you for advise.
    Jesús Davs