Future of Modul8
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: Future of Modul8

by vanakaru » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:13 pm

deepvisual wrote:I think what janine means to say is, is her cracked copy stopped working 4 years ago

I thought I will not bother to continue with this discussion that hasn't answered anything so fa and probably never will. But this reply from deepvisual who has shown excellent experience and knowledge on video projecting is just unbelievable. Lets step back and stop being ridiculous with our replies. (Like: I bet your cracked copies still work).
    The reality is that not much shortcomings of Modul8 have been addressed in years. I get the feeling that whatever we ask reasonable or not it gets totally ignored - not honored even a reply! Like in this tread we got a hurt reply only after the discussion got rather nasty.
    And my understanding is that since starting with MadMapper developing Modul8 is not exciting any longer and will not get much attention at least a year or more. I hope to be wrong.
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi 2 all,

question:

if the future development of this software is taking time, has this to do with the size of the team? resources?

And if there are users that want this software to evolve faster, what price would you pay for this to happen.

It´s a triangle : money,quality,time.

quality for the same money , means more time. (i don´t want the software to be unstable, so pls don´t deduce the quality, agree???)

i don´t know if it´s possible to scale the coder team: but it would definitely coast more money.

on the other hand you should always hear what your customers are telling you and asking for.

maybe a found raising for MD8 3.0 could help?

i can understand both sides, doesn´t make me happier.

pele2010
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:25 pm

@vanakaru, thank you for your points. As I recall from maintaining this forum daily for almost every day since 2007, every time these concerns have been raised I have been on hand to address them. We have all the lists of the requests. We are paying attention.

Factor in how demands are constantly changing? How Apple is changing OS X towards a more of an iOS?

It is true that the focus has been MadMapper for the past year or so. It needed this. And it has introduced a lot of new people to Modul8.

@pele10, resources are not a problem. We have scaled the team in recent months. So now the development on both softwares can continue in tandem. That said, making the right decisions about how to do things right is now the primary challenge.
  • janine

by janine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm

@gmint perhaps modul8 is suitable for your wedding videos, hihihihihihi !!
    @pele modul8 always stutter, if you use high quality materials, even with prores/aic codec on a mac pro machine with ssd harddisk.
    so you can not use modul8 if you have to deal with high quality footage.
    with a modern softwaredesign it is possible to play and mix high quality movies.
    @deepvisual still have a serial for the software. made money with it. so i am fine.

i only wanted to say, that its a shame, that this software is not developed anymore.
    it speaks for itself, that the last fanboys of modul8 are wedding videomakers :-)
    i would love to see (and buy) a version 3.0.
    keep on rocking guys !
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 pm

janine wrote:@gmint perhaps modul8 is suitable for your wedding videos, hihihihihihi !!

I guess you must have missed this one where I did a video bar top and a mapped logo with five projectors:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3000066047067

or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l72lodJ ... r_embedded

oh, and while you're watching, check this one out too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PT0BXt ... r_embedded

That's Modul8 running a "wedding video" from live streaming pix.

Yeah, I thought so.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm

@gmint, thank you for sharing your work.

@everyone please keep things civil here.
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Janine,
    @pele modul8 always stutter, if you use high quality materials, even with prores/aic codec on a mac pro machine with ssd harddisk.
    so you can not use modul8 if you have to deal with high quality footage.
    with a modern softwaredesign it is possible to play and mix high quality movies.

see:

there is a manual where you can read about the specs for video footage.

it´s: photojpg 75 % quality.

this means that with this codec you will have the best performance, because this codec is very resources friendly.

i´m still curious about the material you are using?
    maybe it´s too long?
    maybe your preferences where not set right.

so you can not use modul8 if you have to deal with high quality footage

what do you mean with high quality footage?

and:

it´s all about the "viewing distance" .
    if you stand directly in front of a bill you only see dots! if you step back these dots merge to a picture. it could be a very high res one
    or it could be very blurry.

referring to modul8 and "prores"
    you have to read the specs!
    if you rent a diesel car you can´t complain if the cars doesn´t run if you refuel it with gas.

last:

keep in mind that it´s not important what you do with a tool (weddings??? why not! can be great)
    maybe it´s worth while to think about, why it didn´t work for you!
    and please vj janine, you should not blame us for using this tool the way we do.
    nobody is forcing you to use it.
    we´re just nice in taking time to explain some basic things.

so show us your great things with a link to vimeo or youtube and we keep our mouth shut forever. ;-)

ups i think i did it again: i put diesel in my gaz car, merda.

pele2010
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
  • Basic
    activ8 member

by Basic » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Really looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Modul8. Ive been using it for just over 7 months now and went from needing to learn it to not being able to not use it (i could of made that sentence simpler i think... :))

I started using Resolume when it was 2.3 (back in 2005) and liked the interface and even the speed of it. I upgraded to Avenue when it first came out and although a great tool i could never manage to get away with it in a VJ situtaion. Saying that its a great tool for installtions and other live work. I really like the DXV too. but for me less is more.

So moving to Modul8 has been a bit of a blessing. It has all the features i need and is rock solid, I have to run some gigs laptop only so i never have a worry...! Saying this i never had an issue with Resolume either so im not taking sides! 2 different tools but i favour M8 for live perfomance and its what im going to stick with until this mac burns out... and then start all over again :)

just my 2 pence.
  • Basic
    activ8 member

by Basic » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 pm

I was going to ask also. Will there be any type of press release as to what is next for m8. I understand the points you have made and im looking forward to the future! :)
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:18 pm

@Basic, thank you for your perspective.

I did not quite understand "to not being able to use it." Can you clarify and expand on that a bit?
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:40 pm

ilan wrote:@Basic, thank you for your perspective.

I did not quite understand "to not being able to use it." Can you clarify and expand on that a bit?

I think s/he said "not being able to not use it" as in it's indespensible.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks gmint. Going blind despite the new glasses.
  • Basic
    activ8 member

by Basic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:22 am

haha yes i did mean that... A few beers had impaired my mind and my own vision.

Yeah I had to learn M8 so i would be able to be using the same software as people I work with.

So I've learned it and wonder how i got by without it before.

Also a he ;)
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:34 am

Modul8 + MadMapper are great softwares provided from this company. It could be that some people are expecting the software to come with a full library of media.
    i have a great tremendous library of media. Every set I create is different and it makes Modul8 feel like a brand new app everytime.
    I agree, It IS the input that makes the difference. The software has more capability than any other software that is available. I have tried them all.
    Good Luck, Happy VJing
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:15 pm

cvanhoose wrote:Modul8 + MadMapper are great softwares provided from this company. It could be that some people are expecting the software to come with a full library of media.
    i have a great tremendous library of media. Every set I create is different and it makes Modul8 feel like a brand new app everytime.
    I agree, It IS the input that makes the difference. The software has more capability than any other software that is available. I have tried them all.
    Good Luck, Happy VJing

Yea, yea I was a fanboy like you even 1 or 2 years ago. But when important fixes, updates and even replies happen rather later than sooner or never I feel no excitement what so ever.
    And you are talking about the app as it is now not the future.