Future of Modul8
  • ilan

Re: Future of Modul8

by ilan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:57 pm

@gmint it is not an issue of whether anyone is crazy or not. We are aware of these problems, and they cannot be resolved over night.

If anyone has a problem with stuttering we want to know about it and please send your message with detailed information to support, otherwise we can't know what the problem is exactly and we won't be able to resolve it for you.

@bareimage I learned from someone who is currently developing an app for the iPad and the word was that when apps are optimized for the retina display there is a noticeable hit in performance. I don't know what that means for us in the short term but probably will be something that will have to be addressed in some form or another in the future. In other words, don't worry about that for now.
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:49 pm

vanakaru wrote:
    bareimage wrote:Is there any way you can dropbox this video and post it with Modul8 File

It is nothing special. Just make few sec long clips 1024x768 PhotoJPG 85% and PNG+.

Oh man, it can be OS related, etc. What would be the best to share some of these clips so all of us can see and figure out where the issue is.
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:59 pm

vanakaru wrote:
    bareimage wrote:Is there any way you can dropbox this video and post it with Modul8 File

It is nothing special. Just make few sec long clips 1024x768 PhotoJPG 85% and PNG+.

If you are running 2008 Mac Book Pro this can be your issue. You need to update machine at three year interval for interactive art.

Here is what is going on. Apple is pushing a lot of algorithms that are improving "feel" of the laptop. The real time rendering community (including interactive, video, performing artist) is not viable enough for apple to care. They have just released new Macbook Pro with Retina display, the machine looks awesome and most probably is our version of cryptonite. Most of the video power would go to the rendering of the awesome main display leaving projectors underpowered.

Same is applied to the OS. The OS development is centered around user base that does not care about realtime video arts. It has to look GOOD, thus OS using new algorithm for upscaling and rendering. This means more of the video power of your station will go toward the OS. This can explain why MODUL8 looks worse.

PS - Macbook Pro 2010, SSD, 4gb RAM five clips at the same time
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:25 pm

ilan wrote:@gmint it is not an issue of whether anyone is crazy or not. We are aware of these problems, and they cannot be resolved over night

ilian, thank you. That's all I was asking for. I don't expect it to be fixed tomorrow and as far as I'm concerned, if the next version of Modul8 did nothing but reworked the underlying foundation, I wouldn't complain one bit (OK, well maybe that's not entirely true, but I'd still be pretty happy :D).
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 pm

bareimage wrote:
    vanakaru wrote:

If you are running 2008 Mac Book Pro this can be your issue. You need to update machine at three year interval for interactive art.

I do not agree. I have not changed the OS X. It is still SL. I have tried to clean install without any updates.
  • looptid

by looptid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:01 pm

I don't post on this forum much, but have been running modul8 for a long time now and absolutely love it. But I too am having major glitch issues. I have a very new macbook pro 2.4ghz i7 4gb ram. I upgraded from a 5 year old MBP that lived a strong and well used life and still is my backup rig. My old machine never had any real glitching issues, my new one does. I have been doing very complicated setups for very large events and the more complicated the setup, the more exaggerated the glitch is. And of course, they are always at the worst time. For example, when pushing a DH2G setup with some mad mapper going on for Resolution at Wamu Theater in Seattle WA, we had around 10k people and i had a very very embarrassing glitch. Check it out, actually both of them out. There's a small one, then a big one. I tried playing it through over 40 times before the show but the one time when it mattered, got that new modul8 glitch to the extreme. I looked very dumb.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXTEQ4Ek ... age#t=124s
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 am

Hmmm, I do not know, this makes no sense, MODUL8 has not changed this much at the long time. Here is the story of the horrible glitch I had. I was running projection mapping installation in Chelsea Fine Art Museum a couple of years back. I had 10 clips on three or four layers combined together and projection mapped to large painting. I used 3D Conection controller for triggering media clips from both Ableton and Modul8. The installation worked grate, but then when people started to abuse it, it started to crush. I was begging to hate MODUL8. Then later I figured out that the issue was caused by 3dConection controller, transmitting to many signals for modul8 to handle...

Hey you never know..
  • newdendrite

by newdendrite » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:36 am

@bareimage: Many of us have made extensive efforts to track down the sources of frame dropping we're describing here, and the problem seems to be with Modul8. I'm pleased to hear you found your problem elsewhere, but that is not everyone's experience. I hope the developers will finally take this issue seriously and address it rather than ignoring it and attempting to placate users as they have in the past.
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm

BUMP! any more teaser screenshots of the upcoming release?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm

cvanhoose wrote:BUMP! any more teaser screenshots of the upcoming release?

Who said a release is coming up?
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:26 am

The screen shot with syphon input taken from an M8 employee?
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:02 pm

You live much fuller and happy life if you do not expect a future release. It does not mean it will not happen but just stop waiting.
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 pm

You will save yourself more personal time if you do not worry about what my thoughts are. Flattering, but not necessary.
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:55 am

Modul8 is just lucky that none of the other VJ apps have a GUI I like to work with (Resolume - looking in your direction). As soon as some one does though - I'm out.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:32 am

cvanhoose wrote:You will save yourself more personal time if you do not worry about what my thoughts are. Flattering, but not necessary.

There is some prospective for you while you wait
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4116
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4078