Future of Modul8
  • ilan

Re: Future of Modul8

by ilan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 pm

That I am ware of, all current VJ apps that run on Mac OS X use QuickTime 7.x. The primary reason for this is that QuickTime X does not currently have all of the functionality that 7.x possess. From what has been explained to me by David (and David, feel free to correct me if I am wrong) Apples current roadmap does not indicate that they are planning on re-implementing much of this old functionality into the new version.

What this means is that for the future we may likely have to find an alternative solution to video playback.

@vjspetto, thank you for your report. My experiences in the field have been similar and I agree with your points about what needs to be added. In regards to the texture limit, there is indeed a limit that is dependent on the card. Around 8000 x 8000 pixels for some cards. Others allow a bit more.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 pm

I have to say that after many years of being a very happy Modul8 user I've also had to look elsewhere to meet my demands. A question that immediately comes to mind is why Resolume, although originally a pc only software, has been able to fantastically implement Quartz Composer in its Mac version while Modul8 which is Mac only hasn't? I really cannot think of a reason for this. I would've thought that taking full advantage of the Macintosh platform was an obvious strategy for a software that's solely developed for it.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 am

ilan wrote:What this means is that for the future we may likely have to find an alternative solution to video playback.

ilan, with all due respect, shouldn't this be something that's already happening (or in the best case, have already happened) if it is indeed going to be necessary? With OS X updates coming out about a year apart it seems like Quicktime 7 could easily become obsolete pretty quickly and this would seem (to me at least) to be the type of thing that would require quite a bit of work to re-implement....
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 pm

@mowgli_uk Part of the reason is due to stability issues that can arise from using certain patches that could make Modul8 unstable. Yes, you open up the door to possibilities, but you also open up the door to risks. It was not something we were not willing to jump into blindly. This is very plainly evident with some of the MAD_lab apps we provided with MadMapper, most of which were created using QC and some of which we have had to remove from the downloads section due to patch incompatibilities with various system configurations.

But I have to further note that this issue is not closed.

@gmint Actually, with the current implementation of QuickTime X, the majority of your content is still using QuickTime 7. These legacy type things don't die overnight. We have been watching Apples development and looking at alternatives. When we make a final decision on how to move forward it will be done swiftly, and it will be a solution that will serve well for the long term and hopefully be less dependent on Apple, who appears to be increasingly focused on consumers rather than professionals.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:18 pm

ilan wrote:@gmint Actually, with the current implementation of QuickTime X, the majority of your content is still using QuickTime 7. These legacy type things don't die overnight. We have been watching Apples development and looking at alternatives. When we make a final decision on how to move forward it will be done swiftly, and it will be a solution that will serve well for the long term and hopefully be less dependent on Apple, who appears to be increasingly focused on consumers rather than professionals.

@ilan, fair enough. I just hope you guys can avoid the situation that I'm currently in with my CRM software (Marketcircle's Daylite) where Mountain Lion is incompatible with a key feature of their software due to the sandboxing which (despite having a beta of the system for many, many months) they still haven't managed (or, until recently even tried) to fix, thus keeping anyone (including myself) who is dependent on their software stuck on Lion for who knows how long.

That said, perhaps you might have a recommendation on which system software is optimal for Modul8. Going to something like Tiger wouldn't be an option for my laptop, but it's conceivable that I could use it on my install machine if it's going to make a significant difference.
    DJ G Mint

• ilan

by ilan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:48 pm

@gmint, with the exception of some minor display issues that Modul8 has at the moment with the Retina Display based MBP's Modul8 runs fine in everything from 10.4 and up. I am currently using Mountain Lion and I am not experiencing any issues whatsoever.

In general we have been fortunate in that there have been very few compatibility problems with OS X system updates. In the early days when QuickTime 7 was being modified we had to scramble several times when movies in layers would show up white because of changes that Apple had made. I have not seen those in a while. We had some minor module button rendering issues with the release of 10.6, but nothing that made the software unusable (what we call a block).

That said, if I were to choose a system right now it would be 10.6.8. I know a lot of people working in live video who are holding on to this version in the systems that they use for shows.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:20 pm

@ilan, good to know and I appreciate the response!
    DJ G Mint

VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:41 am

ilan wrote:
    That said, if I were to choose a system right now it would be 10.6.8. I know a lot of people working in live video who are holding on to this version in the systems that they use for shows.

I am still on 10.6.8 on every Mac I own that will support it for that very reason. None of the things Lion or Mountain Lion offer me are worth even the slightest issues with my Visuals.