Post Reply 143 posts
Future of Modul8
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: Future of Modul8

by vanakaru » Fri May 25, 2012 12:36 pm

cvanhoose wrote:12 days later, still no updates? Syphon only? I already have achieved this issue.
    Modul8 2.7?
    Yes Modul8 is very stable for me, but I am contemplating on switching software. Resolume has been demoed and I do like the more control and more advanced architecture.

Is this the wrong thread to be posting? Future of Modul8?
    Thanks in advance

You should take this really-really easy. Do not get excited. It is like Modul8 - it is stable and reliable - nothing to get excited about. If you look for excitement then try some freely developed apps. Maybe Resolume will give you a kick. Meanwhile try to master M8 - you will be amazed how much you can actually do with it. Or give Modul8 a rest and check back in a month maybe two. Or wait for announcement on your mail.
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Fri May 25, 2012 4:44 pm

vanakaru: Thank you and I appreciate you criticizing my knowledge on M8. - However, I have been using M8 since its first release. MASTERED! I am talking about the arch. it is running on...outdated Python, etc. you know the requests.
    The ability to control parameters for quartz and flash are a huge PLUS for my choice of production. Resolume has this ability. So its not same vanakaru. Yes it has been in production longer.

I love the M8 interface layout, - A dark themed interface option would be nice.

Modul8_team: thanks for the response, I may have misunderstood what was stated in an earlier thread. I do appreciate the snapshot of Syphon being an input, but that would be expected from the next release. And mentioned that I already have achieved up to 10 syphon inputs.
    I posted the previous thread after days of trying to integrate quartz control to a module without success - hence the frustration.

I am constantly trying to create new visual setups <-------hard to stay in the dark.

Thanks
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Fri May 25, 2012 9:45 pm

cvanhoose: same here - been using it for more than 6 years. It just seems that you have not experienced the game with last major update that we were waiting for 2 years with promises of ”next week”. Since then I do not bother to have any feelings about the release date. I can use it as it is. If there are things that Modul8 does not do I use some other apps with or without M8.
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 pm

5 year user and aware of the time-lapse in updates - hence the push! I have to be annoying sometimes.
    Im not complaining - or am I;)
    Modul8 provides very well for me, especially with output quality. I totally showed up a $100k Coolux system at my last event. The quality did not compare - I'm thinking partly was due to the Coolux operators knowledge.
    I was running circles around the dude with a much better composition layout. I quote him "I really don't like you mad mapper guys"..... lol
    I felt the jealousy from a overrated user.

My setup was 2 Macpros networked to created a comp of 6000px. running through a Spyder System. along with my midi devices.

He had racks and racks of servers that filled the back of a box truck.
    - I did my "strike" after the show and was ready to go before he basically powered down.
    SO..... I LOVE MODUL8, no question about it.....
    BUT...the developers need a push! Please update us! ....on a knee.

One Cool feature with Coolux, is the Widget Designer. He did make a really cool interactive game:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151000403667448
  • Basic
    activ8 member

by Basic » Sat May 26, 2012 11:14 am

yeah the lack of communication is just unprofessional - would be nice to hear something.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 am

cvanhoose wrote:5 year user and aware of the time-lapse in updates - hence the push! I have to be annoying sometimes.
    Im not complaining - or am I;)

BUT...the developers need a push! Please update us! ....on a knee.

I have to agree. Modul8 is a great program and I am happy with it, but we all know (or at least very much hope) that there is *something* in the pipeline at this point and I guess I don't see what the harm would be in sharing a bit of that information. I know that developers tend to be very paranoid (and not without reason) about pre-announcing features in order to protect against competitors stealing them, but let's be honest: if this were an feature race, Modul8 would be losing badly with it's very slow development cycle. I know that sounds like I'm criticizing, but I'm really not. My point is simply that we, as users, would just like to know what the future brings for us. I can't speak for everyone, but if I were going to jump to another VJ software I would have done that long ago and the addition or lack thereof of any feature in a future version of Modul8 wouldn't have much to do with that.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon May 28, 2012 10:01 am

Many modern companies have development process that is more agile and transparent. I just stopped being exited about updates and just enjoy them when they get there. But I must admit that I always wish for a bit more. I work in a scrum team right now and the way the scrum process works the development keeps going forward at a steady pace and with a small team of developers there could be frequent releases. While I understand that stability is one unique selling points (USP) of Modul8 I think that Garagecube are too tight about it. I don't see why there can't be a beta out while there is always one stable public release? It feels like more an more people are getting dissatisfied with the development both on and off the forums. That worries me and I hope it worries Garagecube too.

I must say I like the transparency of Millumin. The development is not going in a very rapid pace but you always knows what's up. And he has also connected the feedback process in a good way.
  • janine

by janine » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:26 pm

i think, that we have to realize, that modul8 is dead.
    it is sad, but the software got no major update since 7 years !!!!
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 pm

janine wrote:i think, that we have to realize, that modul8 is dead.
    it is sad, but the software got no major update since 7 years !!!!

I hate to say it, but it's definitely not hard to see the reasoning here. Luckily, Modul8 is still does the job for me. That said, I am becoming more and more convinced that Modul8 is not running as efficiently as it has in the past. I don't know if it's something with the newer OSes (Lion, Snow Leopard), but I'm 99% sure that the same machine that I've had for several years now, despite having more RAM, doesn't push M8 as fast or as smoothly as it once did...

In short, it sure would be nice if the Devs would give us something to chew on here...
    DJ G Mint

• vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 pm

gmint wrote: I am becoming more and more convinced that Modul8 is not running as efficiently as it has in the past. I don't know if it's something with the newer OSes (Lion, Snow Leopard), but I'm 99% sure that the same machine that I've had for several years now, despite having more RAM, doesn't push M8 as fast or as smoothly as it once did...

In short, it sure would be nice if the Devs would give us something to chew on here...

I have voiced the same concerns. My last installation(opened few days ago) does not run even 16 2-4sec clips on 3 layers coded PNG+.
  • newdendrite

by newdendrite » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:48 am

Just want to let you know there is one more user here who is concerned. In spite of upgrades of computers, hard disks, and ssd's, I also have the impression that Module8 now produces more slowdowns and more stuttering issues. These have become more frequent and more embarrassing in my live performances. And I am not using larger, longer, or higher-resolution loops. As a result, I've started exploring other products, particularly a couple of new ones, to see what they now have to offer.

I'm also very concerned about the responses the user community gets from the developers. It's common for a user to ask a question on this board and get no response at all from the developers. If, as they claim, they are reading this board daily, why do they not provide assistance to their customers? Most disconcerting is their failure to articulate possible improvements in basic functionality. It's really too bad that they losing the support of those who could be their strongest supporters and a major source of new income and new customers for them.
  • bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:05 am

Can you please provide me with a video file for testing. I would love to see what is going on, altho I am not a developer :)

vanakaru wrote:
    gmint wrote: I am becoming more and more convinced that Modul8 is not running as efficiently as it has in the past. I don't know if it's something with the newer OSes (Lion, Snow Leopard), but I'm 99% sure that the same machine that I've had for several years now, despite having more RAM, doesn't push M8 as fast or as smoothly as it once did...

I have voiced the same concerns. My last installation(opened few days ago) does not run even 16 2-4sec clips on 3 layers coded PNG+.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 pm

In my case it's not a specific file which is really the problem. It's a general slowness of the program that is at issue here. Just to expound on my earlier point: I've run Modul8 in the background while running my DJ software (to do a basic digital sign) and it used to be basically unnoticeable as far as hitting the system resources. However, I've noticed it taking more and more of a hit lately...
    DJ G Mint

• bareimage
    activ8 member

by bareimage » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 pm

gmint wrote:In my case it's not a specific file which is really the problem. It's a general slowness of the program that is at issue here. Just to expound on my earlier point: I've run Modul8 in the background while running my DJ software (to do a basic digital sign) and it used to be basically unnoticeable as far as hitting the system resources. However, I've noticed it taking more and more of a hit lately...

Hmmm, what has changed?
    I am noticing some issues with VDMX as of late. But it is because I have not enough space for the large virtual file. I would suggest try to reinstall an operating system. Or just to use new fresh drive. It is often the case that this is what is the problem.

I am not defending the modul8 but would love to find out what is causing the issues for my own comfort...
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm

bareimage wrote:
    gmint wrote:In my case it's not a specific file which is really the problem. It's a general slowness of the program that is at issue here. Just to expound on my earlier point: I've run Modul8 in the background while running my DJ software (to do a basic digital sign) and it used to be basically unnoticeable as far as hitting the system resources. However, I've noticed it taking more and more of a hit lately...

Hmmm, what has changed?
    I am noticing some issues with VDMX as of late. But it is because I have not enough space for the large virtual file. I would suggest try to reinstall an operating system. Or just to use new fresh drive. It is often the case that this is what is the problem.

I am not defending the modul8 but would love to find out what is causing the issues for my own comfort...

The thing is, I'm not talking about just one machine here. I have several Modul8 installations running on different machines and I believe that what I'm describing is reproduceable. That said, with the introduction of the new Retna MBPs (which I will be getting at once), that should mitigate any slowness for a while. Still, not really the way that should be addressed...
    DJ G Mint

Post Reply 143 posts