VGA capture card
  • looptid

VGA capture card

by looptid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 am

Hey guys
    I'm needing to purchase a capture card for my new Macbook Pro that will allow a VGA input. I'm doing a big show with mapped visuals but the headliner wants his own VJ running visuals on his machine to be fed through my mapped output. His VJ says he'll be sending VGA signal to me, that about all i know. The Matrox products don't seem to have VGA inputs, and i'm worried running a converter and then a matrox box would then add significant delay. Product insights?
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: VGA capture card

by vanakaru » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:13 am

MXO2 has HDMI input that is basicly the same as DVI. To get VGA to DVI is pretty standard - no problems at all. So in short you can run VGA from computer to MXO2 and get it into MBP with pretty decent delay and quality. This is the best option for the money I have seen so far,
    You should rent the device and test to see how acceptable it is.
    Valparaiiso
    activ8 member

by Valparaiiso » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 am

Hello,
    I do NOT think that Matrox MXO2 (or MXO2 mini) is able to get any VGA input signal through its hdmi input port.
    Mine (mxo2 mini) gets video signal from mac laptops only with a HDMI cable (or DVI-HDMI), only at standard VIDEO resolutions (576i, 720p, 1080i), and it's not so stable in live event production context.
    It does not work with other graphic resolutions.
    Hope that helps,
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 am

In this video I explained how I achieve it for a festival.

https://vimeo.com/22741283

The delay of 3-4 frames is really ok. But the hardware involved is a bit more expensive…