Never mind the new - embrace the old!
    The Midi Thief
    master

Never mind the new - embrace the old!

by The Midi Thief » Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 pm

It has been a lot of talk about new features. I've been thinking about how to use an old format like animated GIFs, the retro format preferred by hipsters. Here's a few thoughts and a little exploration i did: http://themidithief.com/2012/05/animate ... n-vj-sets/
    It would be a fun way to engage the audience at your artsy-fartsy party or just to display the latest LOL-cats. Can haz gifs? Yes you can!
  • anomad
    master

Re: Never mid the new - embrace the old!

by anomad » Mon May 14, 2012 5:01 pm

. very cool!

"And even if I manage to pull this off, these VJ programs doesn’t seem to have an automated way of importing media (please correct me if I’m wrong)."

. you could probably code something around that (and tie it in to background processing). i wrote a module to allow the user to move a static image (from various webding fonts) then press a button and it would save a screen capture, then load the updated image on a lower layer, so that could 'collage' more images on top of it...

Code: Select all

def saveLiveToImage() :
       global okToTakePic
       okToTakePic = False
       modul8.setValue('direct_snapshot_mainOutput',1,0)
       if os.path.isdir(capturePath) :
          for fn in os.listdir(capturePath):
             myFN = capturePath+"/"+fn
          #print myFN
          loadVal = workMedia,myFN
          modul8.setValue('direct_media_change',loadVal,currentWork)
          modul8.setValue('ctrl_layer_media',workMedia,currentWork)
       okToTakePic = True

. of note, 'capturePath' is set to where you're saving screen caps from modul8, but would be wherever your converted quicktime/.gifs were

. the 'os.listdir' would give me all the files in the directory in alphabetical order, which was ok, since modul8 screen caps are stored date first. then the last item listed (myFN) would be the most recent file, that I would load into 'workMedia' (which was media_id 2 - on layer 3, - layer two was where they moved stuff around before 'saving')

. so... to do an auto load of images, perhaps you can write something in periodicalEvent that after some time, calls a script to read your incoming directory, compare it to a list of already loaded videos, and then load any that weren't found to the next available media slot.

. just a thought...

-james
    (a nomad. )
    The Midi Thief
    master

Re: Never mind the new - embrace the old!

by The Midi Thief » Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Loading the files into Modul8 was no problem. It's harder to automatically load images in to other VJ programs, if even possible. As for the freeze - that occurs while I do the command line calls. Maybe if Python gets updated in the next version I can run the command line calls as a subprocess. Or maybe it's even possible now in some way, I don't know.