Midi Controllable drawing in Modul 8
  • FuzzBeast

Midi Controllable drawing in Modul 8

by FuzzBeast » Tue May 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi guys,
    Im not sure if this is in the right sub, but here goes:
    I was wondering if there is a way to make the drawing surface in something like the Painter module midi selectable? I'm using TouchOSC on my android tablet through the midi bridge, and would like to use an x-y box to input to the layer painter. I am building a portable setup, and don't have space for a wacom alongside the tablet, which I already use to control other aspects of Modul8.

while mapping midi, I can't seem to select the area of the module in what, in the module editor, is referred to as the "view" section of the module, the part where you actively draw, and can edit the layer from. Is there a way to do this, or at least, is there somewhere I can insert some code somewhere in the painter module to let me do so? I don't know very much python, and would appreciate some help here.
  • FuzzBeast

Re: Midi Controllable drawing in Modul 8

by FuzzBeast » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Really surprised this has gotten no answers yet.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:49 pm

. the 'view' is part of the painter module. (look up 'Draw view / Custom view control' in the online manual)

. what i think you're looking for is to use a 'pad control' (which can receive MIDI whereas the canvas type can not) and then map that to a painter canvas. that would require a bit of coding to make it work like the Painter module does (ie, you'd have to account for mouse up/down somewhere so it would know when your drawing)

. if you use MIDI, you'll probably feel limited by the 0-127 range... you might think about using OSC for finer control.

. good luck!

-james
    (a nomad. )
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:46 am

You can save yourself some time by using eMotion via Syphon. Not the most intuitive software (as in "hey where is the manual?") but it's made for live drawing. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29563/emotion

Or you can make something yourself in Quartz Composer maybe by starting with an existing sketch. This probably has to be sent via Syphon too since QC comps can't listen to MIDI or OSC when they are used inside Modul8.

Both these metods will of course be slightly faster when Modul8 gets native Syphon input in the next release. Meanwhile you can use this hack to get it to work: http://themidithief.com/2011/06/syphon-input-in-modul8/