Bugreport - Retinabook
  • ilan

Re: Bugreport - Retinabook

by ilan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Re: lock layer. I think I may have addressed this several times on this forum.

It is simply not possible with the current architecture. It is one of major drawbacks in the way that the interface was designed, and the only thing we can do is re-write everything from scratch. If it was as simple as writing a module it would have been done a long time ago.

As usual (and against my opinion, trust me when I say I hate being an apologist) I am not allowed to talk about what is planned, but this issue will be addressed in the future, as was done when we included it in the first release of MadMaPPer.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:08 am

Well, I do appreciate your reply. And I am sorry to go off the topic really.
    I have been on the forum almost every day and I am surprised that I missed the explanation in the past. Or maybe I did not understand it.
    Anyway, thanks for feeding my hope for Modul8.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:13 am

It has been discussed many times. I'm one of those who have looked in to solving this with a module. You can't really prevent a layer from moving with a module but if something moves you can force it back to it's original position after it was accidentally or non accidentally moved. It's not a pretty solution but it does the job. You will se the layer jitter once when you move it and it moves back. Of course this will conflict with any other module or core functionality that tries to move the layer's position.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:14 pm

ilan wrote:lock layer

Whether it's been addressed or not, I just want to say that this would probably be my number one request for Modul8 (either that or Undo). I've been using Modul8 for years and I still manage to move layers that I didn't intend to move.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm

I am not moving the layers usually but initiate new clip on un intended layer because it has been highlighted by accident. Luckily we have a MMask module where at least one top layer can be left alone.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:42 pm

vanakaru wrote:I am not moving the layers usually but initiate new clip on un intended layer because it has been highlighted by accident. Luckily we have a MMask module where at least one top layer can be left alone.

Yes, the master mask module does help since that tends to be the layer I spend the most time getting exactly right. That said, have you ever noticed the mask moving slightly when using this module? I recently started using the mask module for an installation and it seems to not maintain a consistent position from day to day (which, BTW, is extremely frustrating).
    DJ G Mint

• ilan

by ilan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:22 pm

@gmint, this is getting way off topic, but can you tell me how the projectors are set up? I know from my own experience that with certain installations I have done the environment tended to 'settle' resulting in a loss of alignment.

If the projectors are screwed down on a surface such as concrete or fastened very tightly onto a metal truss, the likelihood of any change is greatly reduced.

That said, if you can reproduce this problem precisely and then we are able to reproduce it we can certainly find a solution to this problem.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 pm

ilan wrote:@gmint, this is getting way off topic, but can you tell me how the projectors are set up? I know from my own experience that with certain installations I have done the environment tended to 'settle' resulting in a loss of alignment.

ilan, the projector which I'm using the mask on (I only use the mask on one of five projectors) is mounted to a ceiling. The installation has actually been running for a while and when I was setting the mask using a layer (without the mask module) I wasn't having the same issue so that's what makes me think it's the mask module. I'll try to give you a better description after some more testing, but it seems like maybe the scale factor isn't always saving it's setting into the project... Like I said, I'll try to give you a better description because I obviously haven't given you a whole lot to go on right now.
    DJ G Mint

• ilan

by ilan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 pm

@gmint, thank you for the background on this. I'll try to do some tests on my end as well to see if I can reproduce it. Are you using the stock Modul8 mask module or the one from the Public section labeled '_Mask'?
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:11 pm

I am using the stock Module.
    DJ G Mint