Modul8 = DEAD project?
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

Modul8 = DEAD project?

by cvanhoose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:16 am

I have made the switch from Modul8 to Resolume. I am a user of all media softwares. After years and years of lateency updates from Modul8, I am at the era where I need the capabilities native(syphon, quartz, python, etc.) Modul8 has been extremely sluggish lately when using more than 2 layers. And when I want to use the Group A + B option....forget about it.
    I have the latest hardware and still no go with smooth frame rate.the 32 bit software is killing me. I need to be able to use my ram to load all of my clips.
    Until garagecube makes Modul8 more of a priority, I have abandoned the software for smoother playback and more functionality.
    I will no longer promote the software as I have been pushing Resolume more lately for permanent installs.
    Lets face it...........if you spend money on the best hardware, you would like for it to atleast play more than 2 layers before losing framerate.
    MODUL8 has embarrased me one too many times at my shows, to where I am recommending to stay away from the software.
    My latest client Deadmau5........gave it to me for the glitches on his last show.
    He spends $1mill us for his stage setups......PLEASE LET ME HAVE SMOOTH PLAYBACK!

Resolume is my new friend. I am happy with the steady 60fps I am receiving. on the SAME machine, running the same exact clips...no re-encoding.

yes I am encoding PHOTO-JPG 75%... no audio.......even with the ignore Audio channels options clicked......no noticeable performance increase.
    Your killing me guys......find your programmers fast and if you have...please pay them overtime!
    cvanhoose
    www.3Sprojections.com
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: Modul8 = DEAD project?

by vanakaru » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am

I am with you too.
    I have been moving away from computer+video lately because I can not get satisfactory performance out of the machines. Modul8 is to blame here big time.
    In early June I created a very simple installation with Modul8 hoping to run this through September. The gallery is 150km away. No chance. I had to go there to fix it twice in short time period before I remade it using Isadora. Has been running worry free almost two months now.
    I looked into Resolume too and I like it. For the next live there will not be Modul8 on my mac most likely.
  • Donleavy

by Donleavy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:02 am

I agree as well. It seems no development is going on, and there are much to improve and reinvent. Also, Modul8 has always been sluggish in action. I am moving on as soon as I find a proper replacement. Resolume og VDMX seem to be interesting alternatives.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 pm

I ran a show totally built with Isadora last week. My choice of the software was mainly based on heavy use of interactivity on the stage. The latest prerelease has made video handling really good. No problems running 6min 1024x768 3.5gb master video track with audio and cues under everything. Adding short sound samples triggered by WiiMote+OSCulator>MIDI and manipulated video on screen.
    My partner likes live VJ type of work though so there will be some Modul8 use still. But not for long.
  • newdendrite

by newdendrite » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:47 am

I think it's fair to say the Module8 is a deadend for many of us. I invested in a late 2012 MacBookPro and replaced the optical drive with a fast SSD, just to have the best platform for running Modul8. I only run at PAL resolution with Photo JPEG 75% encoding. The SSD is committed entirely to video content only.

In spite of my efforts to provide good portable hardware, inmy last festival performance I had a number of embarrassing instances of frame dropping. I've finally come to the conclusion that M8 is not the tool to use for a professional (or even a solid amateur) performance. To make it worse, there has been a lot of conversation in this forum about the problems with *no* reassuring responses from the developers.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:21 pm

newdendrite wrote:I think it's fair to say the Module8 is a deadend for many of us. I invested in a late 2012 MacBookPro and replaced the optical drive with a fast SSD, just to have the best platform for running Modul8. I only run at PAL resolution with Photo JPEG 75% encoding. The SSD is committed entirely to video content only.

In spite of my efforts to provide good portable hardware, inmy last festival performance I had a number of embarrassing instances of frame dropping. I've finally come to the conclusion that M8 is not the tool to use for a professional (or even a solid amateur) performance. To make it worse, there has been a lot of conversation in this forum about the problems with *no* reassuring responses from the developers.

I'm on the fence about this, but I have to say that I'm not feeling all that reassured by the GarageCube team at this particular moment. That said, have you found any suitable replacement? As I posted in another thread, I did a brief test with Resolume and it didn't begin to approach the performance that I'm currently getting with Modul8. Granted, I have zero experience with Resolume, but I would have had to be doing something very, very wrong if Resolume is, in fact, faster than Modul8...
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

I purchased Resolume Arena. Performance is by far "Better". Use proper codec for performance. I use quartz compositions very frequently, the ability to playback qtz files is a plus with full control, minus trackball. syphon +1.
    apc40 + Resolume = breadNbutter
    I use Modul8 occasionally along with a handful of other live compositing softwares. Lets face it, one piece of software just will not do it all.........yet!
    cvanhoose
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 pm

cvanhoose wrote:I purchased Resolume Arena. Performance is by far "Better". Use proper codec for performance.

I also tried Resolume Arena and I did encode my media with the DXV (IIRC) codec but performance on multiple displays was much, much worse than on Modul8. Are you using just one output or more?
    DJ G Mint

cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 pm

top of line macbook pro 15"
    multiple displays = 3x 1080p @30fps with effects on composition, layers, and clip levels (blending modes on)
    I have a 13" macbookPro i use occasionally for single output, runs of the norm = 30fps
    using DXV codec. If I am not using more than 3 layers, I will format my gfx to PHOTOjpg 100% for better quality.
    What machine are you pushing your graphics from?
    cvanhoose
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:50 pm

I also have a rMBP 15" that I use for Modul8 but the machine that I tested Resolume on was a MacPro (early generation) with 5x 1024x768 projectors and a 720P plasma. I'm getting respectable frame rates (though not perfect) with Modul8 as long as I really watch the content and the number of layers. With the same setup under Resolume I was getting like 3-4 FPS. Absolutely terrible so I just quit with it...
    DJ G Mint

cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Try using the more powerful gfx card for your UI.
    cvanhoose
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:20 am

cvanhoose wrote:Try using the more powerful gfx card for your UI.
    cvanhoose

I appreciate the suggestion but with all due respect, I think you're missing my point. Screwing around and trying all kinds of different things to get an acceptable frame rate is not what I'm looking for if I'm going to switch away from Modul8. I like Modul8, I know how to use it, I own two sets of licenses, and by and large it does what I need it to do right now. If I had installed Resolume, fired it up, and saw an immediate performance boost, I would have looked at it more seriously. That wasn't the case. Maybe you think I'm lazy for giving up so easily (and maybe I am), but I can't think of a way that I could have made Modul8 as slow as Resolume was short of feeding it a 4K video file (which I've tried, BTW).
    DJ G Mint

deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 am

well, I saw a massive increase in speed in going from png+ to DXV.
    I never had stutters in M8 though, but I always stuck to using just 6 layers in the one tab.
    DVX seems much better than PNG+ even in M8
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm

deepvisual wrote:well, I saw a massive increase in speed in going from png+ to DXV.
    I never had stutters in M8 though, but I always stuck to using just 6 layers in the one tab.
    DVX seems much better than PNG+ even in M8

Well, as I said, I tried DVX. Versus PhotoJPEG 75% it gave me about a 1 FPS increase. I really don't use PNG+ at all.
    DJ G Mint

cvanhoose
    activ8 member

by cvanhoose » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Yes, you need to do more research on the software as if you would with any other software. Optimizing your files and choosing the correct configuration is a must for all professional setups.
    The more powerful graphics card is suggested for your UI, that is what powers Resolumes output. I have a high success rate with smooth playback for all of my shows. I use 3 or more outputs pushing 1080p 30fps across all outputs with intense effects.
    IF you want to JUST "fire it up" and have it do what you want, - let me know if you find the cerebral interface for it to read your mind.
    cvanhoose

good luck