Help with Modul8 + MadMapper codec optimization
  • blvckcvesar

Help with Modul8 + MadMapper codec optimization

by blvckcvesar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:01 am

Hey Modul8
    Hope everything has been well and your year is off to a good start
    I just have a quick question about codecs, I am setting up for an installation next weekwhere I will be running Modul8 with Mad Mapper through a 2.66 GHz i7 MacBook Pro with 8GB of Ram.
    I was just wondering if you would have any insight into what codec I should be using with the Lowest Lag and Highest Quality?
    I have heard DXV is good as well as H.264, im just wondering if you have any insight into what one I should go with, or is there any other codec which would work better?
    Please and Thank You
  • ilan

Re: Help with Modul8 + MadMapper codec optimization

by ilan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Hello. A section on FAQ is dedicated to this very topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:55 pm

The topic Ilan referes to is from 2008-09 and somewhat outdated.
    PhotoJPG at 70-85% quality for normal clips is very good still. However I can run AIC at 1024x768 as well.
    BUT to recommend Animation for clips with alpha channel(transparency) is out of the question and should be corrected by now. Animation has never been good for ANY real time playback - ever. PNG(the video codec) does support alpha and has been the only workable option so far - before DXV came about.
    In short for clips without aplha PhotoJPG and DXV with alpha.
    With very fast systems and need for high quality Apple ProRes is an option(also with alpha).
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm

PhotoJPEG still applies.

Animation is not out of the question. It depends on:

- How big the clip is
    - How much power your computer has

PNG with Alpha is good but I occasionally have issues with frames freezing and no solution has been found for this. I don't know if other people are experiencing the same problem but if you do let us know.

Modul8 is not optimized to work with DXV and in my own personal tests I have not noticed a significant enough advantage between it and any other codec such as PhotoJPEG, even when using the software that is optimized for it.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 pm

DXV with alpha runs better than PNG with alpha even outside of Resolume. Yes, one could use Animation for some clips, but I would not recommend codec that is more trouble than good.
    For normal clips PhotoJPG. Makes no sense to use DXV for that when file size is much larger.
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Interesting about DXV. Will have to run a test on that.