Apple Mini Mac
  • lightingsystemsuk

Apple Mini Mac

by lightingsystemsuk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi

New this forum. I have a project im working on for a client, and as always, budgets are tight, (Are'nt they always).

Can anyone let me know if the Apple Mac Mini is suitable for running Modul8? We are not looking at doing any heavy effects processing, it just basically being used as a video server playout system, using Syphon into Mad Mapper, and then out on 1 DVI to a LED video panel wall.

From what I have read, I can use the HDMI output on the Mac to run the desktop screen, and then by using an Apple Dual Link DVI converter, output the main screen to my wall from this.

I was looking at the mid spec'd Mac Mini on there website which has the following spec:

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    OS X Mountain Lion

But my boss wants to know if we can save money by going with the lower spec'd machine which is as follows:

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    4GB memory
    500GB hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    OS X Mountain Lion

My question is: Will Modul8 run ok in the set-up I have outlined above? And would it run ok on the lower spec'd machine from Apple?

Thanks in advance for the replies
  • ilan

Re: Apple Mini Mac

by ilan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Is there any particular reason you need to run Modul8? If it is a an installation that constsists of a single video loop you can just use the player in MadMapper. That way you save money on not having to buy a Modul8 license. Also, in that you will only need to run 1 software it will put less stress on the system.

If the installation is that simple it should run fine.
  • lightingsystemsuk

by lightingsystemsuk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Well, its not quite that easy, we need to have multiple clips available to us to run throughout the night. And we felt the flexibility of Modul8 gave us that, with the choice of maybe the odd small effect
  • ilan

by ilan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:32 am

- Are the multiple clips in a fixed or a randomized sequence?
    - It it going to be just 1 layer running just 1 clip at a time?
  • lightingsystemsuk

by lightingsystemsuk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:12 pm

There will be approx 15-20 clips to be played out in a random order to suit the show at the time, with some preset effects, placed on them by the operator. Its very much a busked show, in a series of nightclubs up and down the UK.
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:57 am

Ok. Then you definitely need Modul8.
  • lightingsystemsuk

by lightingsystemsuk » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 pm

So, do you think the cheaper Mac Mini will be suitable for the job in hand?
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:06 pm

I think it should be sufficient based on what you are describing. However, you might want to ask around if anyone else has used Modul8 with this specific computer as I have had only limited experience with this particular model.