MIDI controller for Modul8
  • AgentD
    activ8 member

MIDI controller for Modul8

by AgentD » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi all,

I have been using Modul8 for my Vj performance for quite sometime. I have been using just keyboard and mouse but I recently saw someone using MIDI on stage to control visuals and I really liked it, so I want to buy one.

Do you have any recommendation of the model/brand? I would like something that I can quickly change and control visuals and not like I have to stick my head into the screen looking like I'm checking email everytime.

I just found "Akai Professional LPD8 Ultra-Portable USB Pad Controller for Laptops" on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Akai-Professional ... controller

What do you think?

Thank you!

AgentD
  • te-c
    super8 member

Re: MIDI controller for Modul8

by te-c » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:07 pm

For me there are not enough controls. I had different controllers like the Behringer BCR and the BCF and the iPad with Touch OSC. I think it is a process and depends on the way you want to work. It can be mix of different controllers. What's the great thing on the ipad is you can changes the layout of knobs, sliders and pads in any way you want. You can change so often as you like and check out what's the best for you.
    /// Chuck Goldfinger ::: Live Visuals Frankfurt /// VJing, Videomapping, Stagedesign, Photography, Graphic Design and more based in Rhein-Main area ::: by bk-Art.org ///
  • mowgli_uk
    master

Re: MIDI controller for Modul8

by mowgli_uk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:54 pm

It is definitely a learning and ever-changing process.
    Ask your self: What do I want to control?
    Then figure out what the best way to control that is; faders, rotaries, pads, buttons... and find the controller that best suits your needs.
    As it's been said, an ipad offers the benefit of limitless configurations but on the downside there's the price and the fact that you have no tactile feedback which is vital if you don't want to swap looking at your screen for looking at your ipad.