Question about using Modul8 for installation not performance
  • L1oire

Question about using Modul8 for installation not performance

by L1oire » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm working on an installation and would like to incorporate video projection mapping. I'm excited about MadMapper, and I'm wondering if Modul8 might also be useful.

I have video and still images that I would like to automate and react to audio input (audio files not MIDI). Most of what I see people using Modul8 for is live performance--totally awesome, but not what I am looking to do at this time. I'd appreciate it if people with more experience with Modul8 could tell me if I can use it for my project, to sync up my video and imagery to music that I can then project with MadMapper? I'd like to project different video clips on different parts of a structure, so being able to have 8 or so different video clips at the same time is appealing. I understand how to do it in Madmapper, with the music as the audio to video and different parts of the video selected in the quads, but I like the idea of it being both more complex and also reactive.

Thanks in advance for your opinion and expertise!
    gmint
    ultim8 member

Re: Question about using Modul8 for installation not perform

by gmint » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:43 am

I know it's been a bit since you asked this question, but in case you don't have an answer yet, I thought I'd give you my $0.02. I use Modul8 for an installation (Mac Pro, 6 outputs consisting of three 32" plasmas, two 720P projectors and a 1024x768 projector) and have for quite some time. I've used Modul8 for many years for both install and performance and I generally enjoy the program. However, it isn't exactly perfect when it comes to installation. That's not to say that there are major problems, but I do have unresolved issues with certain modules that can cause things to shift after restarting the program and things occasionally malfunction (i.e. Art-Net) but by and large it is very stable on a long term basis. If you're talking a set it and forget it type of install, I think you might have some work to do to get it there, but I think that will depend on what features of Modul8 you employ.

Unfortunately, I can't really speak to the music/video sync as I've never really used that functionality. However, if your music is just an audio track on your video files, I wouldn't see why you would have any problems. If you're looking to sync to timecode or something like that, that could be another issue, but I have no expertise in that area.
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]