HAP Codec
  • Basic
    activ8 member

HAP Codec

by Basic » Tue May 27, 2014 8:43 am

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick post. Has anyone been utilizing the Hap Codec since the release of 2.8?

Any noticeable difference's in play back? I will be doing some testing but interested to hear of other people's experiences.

Cheers
    Liam
  • blue.bear

Re: HAP Codec

by blue.bear » Thu May 29, 2014 10:25 am

I;m using this codec. And I don't see any difference.
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Long ago... but not that long ago, I was told that HAP won't really offer much of an advantage in relation to Modul8. Since its inclusion I have done a trial or two, but nothing extensive and was not particularly impressed. But then again I am not much for sitting around doing benchmarks. I would be interested to hear about experiences from other people on this matter.
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Just wanted to add my 2c since I've been playing around with 1920x1080 content, SSD and HAP Codec. All content is played "direct from disk" with no ram preloading.

hardware:
    cpu - i7 4770K
    ram - 32gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3
    gpu - geforce gtx760
    ssd - samsung evo840 (250gig)

3 clips all 1080p without HAP - high cpu across multiple cores, noticeably slower playback speed (maybe just lower fps/dropped frames?)

Same 3 clips at 1080p WITH HAP -

For me, it's pretty clear which will perform better on my system. Sticking with HAP :)

edit: forgot to mention I'm using HAP v3 codec for my content
    birdiedaboy

by birdiedaboy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 pm

How do I use it?, just install it and it will start using it or do i have to export mi videos and choose a HAP option as export, I dont really understand how to use it, can someone explain it to me
    Repeat after me: I am free
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:15 am

birdiedaboy wrote:How do I use it?, just install it and it will start using it or do i have to export mi videos and choose a HAP option as export, I dont really understand how to use it, can someone explain it to me

Yup, just install the codec (https://github.com/vidvox/hap-qt-codec/releases/), and select HAP as the export option for your videos in media encoder or whatever you use to encode/export.
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Any final word on HAP?

Pros and cons? Should I stick to photo jpeg?
    Does it run smoother and does it consume less cpu than photojpeg ?

Thanks!

g.
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
    broken
    super8 member

by broken » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:43 pm

lamepantallas wrote:Any final word on HAP?

Pros and cons? Should I stick to photo jpeg?
    Does it run smoother and does it consume less cpu than photojpeg ?

Thanks!

g.

Been using a mix of PJPEG and HAP depending on the length and size of content.

Some HAP loops can end up really big (2-4gigs each). While my RAID 0 SSDs can handle the reading the files with bandwidth to spare, modul8 being a 32bit quicktime based app can only access 4gb of RAM total, so when I've got large clips (even loading them "Direct from Disk" in preferences) the memory modul8 has access to gets very very limited, and seems to constantly be buffering clips (red & orange dots on the clips in the grid).

To overcome a bit of this issue I've been using an app called Ram Disk Creator to utilize a bit more of my 32gb of ram and allocate 25gb to a Ram Disk and load my larger HAP files onto it so the 4gb of ram modul8b has access to isn't compromised as much by clips.

The only other issue is if your Video card doesn't have a good amount of VRAM.. Mine has 2gb and while it gets me pretty far, a few bigger clips and some layers starts to max out my VRAM.

HAP certainly uses less cpu in my testing than PhotoJpeg - I'm able to run more layers with less strain using HAP.

I've been using 1080p clips for content and utilize a canvas of 5670x1080 to give me 2 sections of 1920x1080 that I can layer up and play with as well as a 3rd 1920x1080 window to play with 720p logos/graphics/animations/madlights/leds.

PhotoJpeg is safe if it works well for you. But if you want to squeeze a bit more performance out of your rig HAP might be something to do some testing with.

current hardware:
    cpu - i7 4770K
    ram - 32gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3
    gpu - geforce gtx760 (2GB VRAM)
    ssd - samsung evo840 (250gig) + 1tb raid 0 evo840 for clips & content (~900mb/sec read speeds)