New Macbook and Modul8 run slowly!!
  • vjbelamy

New Macbook and Modul8 run slowly!!

by vjbelamy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:55 pm

hello I would like to make some questions to those who have more knowledge than me, please help me in a right choice. I have a macbook pro 2011 2.4 ghz intel core duo, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 ram, nvidia geforce 320m 256 mb, from 256gb ssd samsung, and the secondary instead of the original hd dvd player - and Modul8 latest version, of course, entirely original. unfortunately the Modul8 does not run as well as they, the videos are slow and very often I have to convert them losing quality. I use the mp4 because they are lighter, as I have to convert them? you have any program to suggest free? how should I set the Modul8? There are tricks? I though I run the video from an external HD LG 500gb, so maybe I get penalized? There are special codec to be installed? I used those who do download garage cube. I also had the opportunity to buy from a friend a macbook used about 550 € of 2012 with i5 processor, 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz, 384 mb intel hd graphics 3000 - what do you think? I change it? or do I have to bet at this point to something better?
    but in case, I take the new mac from my friend and I bring my ssd with all the above programs including Modul8, as I do to permissions? I have to turn it off and give the serial number of the new machine ??

heartfelt thanks to those who respond. :oops: :D
  • anomad
    master

Re: New Macbook and Modul8 run slowly!!

by anomad » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:37 am

. if you search the forums, there is a lot of discussion regarding performance of clips on various machines.

. in short, download MPEG Streamclip ( http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html )

. convert your clips to MJPEG-B , 85%, no audio. you're using a lot of CPU to decode the H.264 files...

. run them from the SSD, change your preferences so that files are run from disk if greater than a small amount (~10MB) so they'll just play off the SSD

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • vjbelamy

by vjbelamy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:45 am

Many thanks for the answer!!

I follow your precious advice! but with Yosemite and a Modul8 2.9 version are always good these clips converted into MPEG-2 as you're pointing at me?

recently there have been problems with OSX mavericks codec etc ... remember?

then I wanted to ask if you read the question of my macbook pro, what did you think about it. do you think is better? or converting the clip as you told me I would not have suggested these big problems with the computer? thanks.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:15 pm

. the CODEC should be 'Apple Motion JPEG B' (i abbreviated it as MJPEG-B - sorry if that wasn't clear) i don't like MPEG-2 since you needed to purchase it in the past, and now it's built into Quicktime X (i think) - but other applications can't access it.

. try that to see if it helps your clips. if not, you can also check out the HAP codec. here is a link w/more information : http://www.modul8.us/2013/11/04/hap-codec-v2-available/

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • vjbelamy

by vjbelamy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:42 pm

sorry, i have a question - i don't find on STREAMCLIP the sequence that you recommend me - where i can find ?? where is the MJPEG-B ??
    Attachments
    Schermata 2015-06-29 alle 22.41.47.png
    Schermata 2015-06-29 alle 22.41.47.png (181.74 KiB) Viewed 17067 times
  • vjbelamy

by vjbelamy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:49 pm

ok ok ,, i find! first i convert in quicktime...
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:28 pm

vjbelamy wrote:then I wanted to ask if you read the question of my macbook pro, what did you think about it. do you think is better? or converting the clip as you told me I would not have suggested these big problems with the computer? thanks.

. i guess that depends on what you're doing w/Modul8. personally, i only go for the 15" Macbook Pro's that have dedicated video RAM (VRAM) - b/c i like to use a lot of effects. They are usually listed similar to "Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.5 15" Mid-2015 (DG) " - the DG is for Dual Graphics, vs. (IG) which is the single Integrated Graphic. Both of the system you listed are integrated graphics.

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • vjbelamy

by vjbelamy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:15 pm

then the integrated graphics (IG) is not good, right?
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:51 am

I use M8 successfully with an old 2007 MacBookPro using video clips in PhotoJPEG @ 75% quality. I have no problems using multiple videos and many filters. Not HD, but 800 x 600 pixels. And I regularly use a Matrox TH2Go with M8 as well. My suggestion is to look at your codec. MPEG Stream clip can convert to PhotoJPEG easily. - John
  • vjbelamy

by vjbelamy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:53 am

thank you! can you teach me to use it? (mpeg streamclip)
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:37 am

vjbelamy wrote:thank you! can you teach me to use it? (mpeg streamclip)

english:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywSecyOT50
    spanish:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdhm1BRw--k
    italian:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7EMRin6Vk

just in case someone needs a tutorial for this encoding software

I hope it helps

by the way:

adobe has a 30 Day trial for media encoder. Tutorials are on the Adobe(dot)tv website

kind regards

peter
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de