python version and openCV
  • fonkypigeon

python version and openCV

by fonkypigeon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering two things :

What is Modul8 python version ?
    Is it possible to link extern libraries as openCV in Modul8 ?

I'm looking for developing a face recognition plugin in modul8 .

I'm not owning Modul8 yet, but the answers to this topic are going to decide me to purchase m8 or not. I had previous experiences in the past, last time I used it was in 2006, I wonder how much it changes since then.

thanks a lot
  • anomad
    master

Re: python version and openCV

by anomad » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:29 pm

. i *think* the current Python in Modul8 2.9 is version 2.5. it doesn't use your system's Python and is 'sandboxed' inside of Modul8 (so things like cPickle can't save objects due to scope issues)

. i doubt you can load your own external libraries, someone from GarageCube might be able to answer that (but they don't seem to check the forums very often)

. some notable additions in the past few years have been native OSC support and Syphon Input and Output.

. depending on what you wanted to do, you could develop your face recognition application to output via Syphon + OSC (or MIDI) and have it communicate w/Modul8 that way.

. having done quite a bit of coding w/Modul8's Python, i feel it's pretty slow if you go beyond simple mapping of buttons to the interface and basic maths in the background.

-james
    (a nomad. )