alpha mask
  • bratch
    super8 member

alpha mask

by bratch » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:36 pm

Yves, Boris,
    i'd like to know if there's a way to define some spaces in the screen where you can decide to have some picture passing in. Hard to explain but let me try :
    - Suppose you have a projection on a screen.You put a video full screen which is your background.
    - then on a second layer, you have a media (picture or movie)with no alpha, simply on a 4/3 format or whatever. Is there's a way to imagine a module that can define some virtual shapes in which can appear you media (second layer in the example above), and out of this define shape, it doesn't appear anymore, so that you can still see you background layer? A kind of virtual mask in fact.
    Am I clear enough?
    Thanx !
  • VJ_Anomolee

eh?

by VJ_Anomolee » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Why dont you just add a chromakey or a lumakey to that second image to make part of it tramsparent so the first layer is visible as well?
    Proudly generating cognitive dissonence one day at a time
  • bratch
    super8 member

by bratch » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:42 pm

because i'd like to change media for this 2nd layer, and it would be easier to create one "alpha mask" once you are in front of the projection screen (or object) than creating a luma or chroma key mask on each media.
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:21 pm

How are defined the virtual shapes ? Do you think of simple geometry ?

Yves
  • bratch
    super8 member

by bratch » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:05 pm

yes it could be squares, rectangles or triangles with modulable height and length but the best would be to draw shapes with points and bezier curves or import a shape (psd or png).
    Do you think it would be possible?
  • ylandsman

by ylandsman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:41 pm

Check out the core image hole distortion. This at least provides a circular mask
  • Larky

by Larky » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:42 pm

I think, but I could be wrong, that what is required is a way to use more than one mask on the Global Mask module. For example, imagine you had a hex screen set-up. If you could use more than one hex (could be the same PNG etc) then you could very easily set-up these kinds of rigs. Works for any shape, not just hex.

Hello everyone btw, I'm new here. :)