master speed control - questions update - new module
  • jerthies

master speed control - questions update - new module

by jerthies » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:47 pm

Hello,

I have created a very simple master speed control slider in the module editor. I am trying to have finer control in my playback speed. I made the slider 200 (pixels) wide and made the min/max values .3 -.8. Does Modul8 have this accurate of variable speed control? I have tried to include a value monitor box but couldnt find the right words in keyword connect.

Also - is there a way to connect the value of the bpm global to my new speed control. Some sort of numerical calculation would have to take place I'm guessing.

My ultimate goal is to tap in the beat and have that adjust my master speed value. This would have to be accurate to atleast 1/10th of the bpm. It seams the the current bpm global module rounds the values to the nearest whole number.

I have made a collection of clips all cut to 130bpm and want to beatmatch them with the accuracy I get on a quartz lock turntable. Any help would by very appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeremiah
    Last edited by jerthies on Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • jerthies

step 1 solved - more questions

by jerthies » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Hello again,

So after a few try's I was able to make a speed control with the resolution I wanted. It was super easy. That keywords browser is genius.

I am now trying to add a text box which shows the current numeric value of my master speed slider. I have read through all the posts and the manual twice and I am still confused.

I think what I need is to run a script that looks something like:

modul8.getValue(ctrl_master_speed)

Am I headed in the right direction? Where do I enter this line of code?

I have added both a text caption and caption text control to my module. I then tried adding the above line of code into the keyword connect 'to' line. I also tried adding it to the script connect send message box. I have tried lots of combinations and can't figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeremiah

PS Will there be more documentation in the manual for the keywords browser anytime soon? Something like a list of commands and their options would be very helpful for people like me who are just starting out. I clicked on every keyword in the list but only some words have descriptions.
    VJ-A2D
    activ8 member

by VJ-A2D » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:50 pm

That sounds like a VERY useful module...
    Please keep us posted on its development.
    You could share it as beta on the online library, some people might be able to help you run those last lines of code...
    Definitely a "must have" module...
    Plus2 Collectiv
  • jerthies

New Module - Speed Control

by jerthies » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:01 pm

I have uploaded a new module for finer control of the master speed control. Its a simple module but VERY useful to me. I plan to add more to it but my learning curve is steep. If the range of speed isn't what you need - just edit the attribute min and max value.

This made fine tuning speed of my clips with a midi knob much easier.

J
  • stuart
    activ8 member

by stuart » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:36 am

I also wanted finer control so I edited the BPM module such that the +- button adjusted by .1 BPM instead of 1.
  • jerthies

sounds good - how?

by jerthies » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:15 am

Hello,

How did you adjust the settings? Did you adjust the script info or were you able to adjust the attributes. Again, my apologies if this is a naive or stupid question. I looked at the BPM(global) module and clicked on the arrow button. The attributes give an option for "Down", "Continuous" or "Up". Both the up and down buttons have a value of 1 in the Down attribute. I tried adjusting this number but no value change was given. I would like the finer adjustment you mention but have no idea how you did it. Can you clarify?

Thanks
    Jeremiah
    eyeborg

fine tuning global bpm

by eyeborg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:44 am

This is interesting!
    I experimented with a copy of the Global BPM module to make it fine-tune and changed this script in the MessageEvent bit:

-------------------------------------

elif msg == 'bpm+' and param['value'] :
    speed += 1/60.0

module.setValue ('UIbpm',0, 60.0 * speed)
    module.setValue('speedKnob',0,speed)

elif msg == 'bpm-' and param['value'] :
    speed -= 1/60.0
    if speed < 0.0 : speed = 0.0

--------to this: ------

elif msg == 'bpm+' and param['value'] :
    speed += 0.1/60.0

module.setValue ('UIbpm',0, 60.0 * speed)
    module.setValue('speedKnob',0,speed)

elif msg == 'bpm-' and param['value'] :
    speed -= 0.1/60.0
    if speed < 0.0 : speed = 0.0

-------------------------------------------

simply change the two occureces of 1 to 0.1

I hope this makes sense, I'm no programmer, but it worked for me ;-) the decimal is displayed in the module when it's running.

grete x