SMS Display Module...
    gmint
    ultim8 member

SMS Display Module...

by gmint » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:53 pm

So, I was thinking...

I've got a potential customer who has mentioned he might like to incorporate SMS display into a projection. I've seen SMS systems before like Pangolin's but nothing that I can see would really integrate well with M8 or any other projection system for that matter. As such that got me thinking, what about a module?

Does anyone here have any experience with SMS? I have to admit that I haven't even done a cursory investigation into what this might require, but I bet it wouldn't be THAT hard to do and DAMN wouldn't it be cool if you could put realtime text messages on a 3D extruded plane. Any thoughts? Anyone interested in working with me on such a system? I haven't gotten into Python yet (just haven't had the time) but I'm somewhat useful with PHP and MySQL (which could be helpful given that SMS is based in a similar realm)....
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: SMS Display Module...

by yves@garagecube » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:14 am

You need a server that is able to collect and publish the SMS messages.

Then it is pretty easy to use Python to connect to the server, read the SMS and displays them in a Modul8 layer.

Yvses.
    TheraBylerm
    activ8 member

by TheraBylerm » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:21 pm

Hello !

I would like to know if you've found the modul for SMS displaying ?
    I'm trying to make something in this kind. I would like to display some text in Modul8, moving on the screen like SMS...

Thx !!
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:51 am

You don't really need a server, if you connect your mobile phone to your computer (via bluetooth or wire) you must be able to get directly the sms on the computer (I don't know how... (maybe with python :x ) then a module to get the sms...
    Yves, I don't know if you saw the guy from dublin at the mapping last year (pixelcorps) he used his own mobile phone to get the sms on his computer (the phone number was in ireland :lol: ) but he used his own tools to get all the sms on screen
    TheraBylerm
    activ8 member

by TheraBylerm » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:14 am

sigma6 wrote:You don't really need a server, if you connect your mobile phone to your computer (via bluetooth or wire) you must be able to get directly the sms on the computer (I don't know how... (maybe with python :x ) then a module to get the sms...
    Yves, I don't know if you saw the guy from dublin at the mapping last year (pixelcorps) he used his own mobile phone to get the sms on his computer (the phone number was in ireland :lol: ) but he used his own tools to get all the sms on screen

I was thinking about it... that's a good idea. I will think about it when I will need it for real.
    G4jima

SMS MODUL8 WOULD BE COOL! BUT?

by G4jima » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Am I right in thinking the old module is no longer supported?
    Im running an intel Imac 3GB Ram on snow Leopard trying to get Megacell to see any old mobile I can lay my hands on... got the scripts
    cant get Megacell to connect :(