Request for layer_midi_mapping keyword
  • Vibber
    super8 member

Request for layer_midi_mapping keyword

by Vibber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi there,
    I have got myself a new Novation Nocturn midi controller and I tried sending midi feedback from Modul8 to update the controller. It works hurrahh!

So now I want to create a 'Midi Out' module. Ideally this will send current values out as midi whenever I switch to another layer in Modul8.
    This way my midi controller will always be updated and I avoid 'jumping values' when turning the knobs.

One problem: I can't find a keyword with the current midi mapping. E.g. if I want to send the layer opacity value to midi, I need to know which midi CC is currently mapped to the selected layer.
    Of course I can hardcode my mapped midi CCs into the module, but I would like to create a more usable and generic module - That will not be possible without this keyword I think.

Best regards
    -vibeke / Udart
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Vibeke!

I just started working on a more general MIDI feedback module, that (if successful) will be able to communicate with many different midi controllers that suports MIDI feedback.

I don't think there is a keyword for checking what midi value is attached to a certain function. This however would be sweet and probably change the approach for the module I'm writing. M8-team please create this keyword! Or does it exist?

You could of course write your own midi learn function. I did this once but I don't think I ever used it in a finished module.

The approach to my module is to listen to the keywords of the main interface and feed that data back to the midi controller. This module gets pretty complex and will take a while to finish.

I wouldn't mind collaborate on one or two midi out modules. I was going to make a callout for collaborators this weekend. I guess i still will in a dedicated post...
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:27 pm

that sounds great. Let me know if I can help test it out.

I was thinking - if there is no keyword in M8, I would create a module with text fields for each control that should send midi out.
    For instance there would be a row for 'Layer opacity' followed by input fields for typing in channel and cc. then each time focus changes to another layer a midi message is sent with the opacity value for that layer.
    Of course it would be more complex than that but that would be a start.

How will you go about creating the module?
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Another approach for me personally would be to create a module specifically for the Novation Nocturn. One could create a module that looks like the physical controller and hardcode the module to the default midi setup of the controller.

Either way it would take some time to get done - which I am not sure I have right now :)
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Vibber wrote:Another approach for me personally would be to create a module specifically for the Novation Nocturn. One could create a module that looks like the physical controller and hardcode the module to the default midi setup of the controller.

What I am interested in is how to access the "mdi pages" on the controllers from Modul8. If you could access the midi pages you could controll so much more stuff with your controller. I don't think I have a single midi controller that sends any midi when I push the midi page button. "Why would they?" might be a valid question. I don't really care if they are sending anything but I'm more interested if they are listening to something. I guess I have to consult the (f....) manuals. If anyone knows of a midi controller with midi learn functions that could change the midi page by sending a midi message - I'd be happy to hear about it! I have 3 midi controllers with midi learn to play with at the moment - the BCR2000, the BCF2000 and the Novation Nocturn (which I never really bacame friends with since I got the more user freindly Korg NanoKontrol at the same time).

Vibber wrote:Either way it would take some time to get done - which I am not sure I have right now :)

Me neither really. But I'm taking a "project day" on saturday to get a bit further.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:32 pm

"how to access the "mdi pages" on the controllers"

Exactly. i was very dissapointed when I found out this was not an option on the Novation Nocturn. It would bring up so many possibilities for interactivity if that was possible...
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Vibber wrote:How will you go about creating the module?

I think your module is closer to mine than I thought.
    Mine would work kind of like the BPM Router Master/Layer modules in that way that you would pick from the interface what you want to feed back to your midi controller. The module would listen for the selected functions (or keywords really) and send the values to the midi controller(s) as midi data. There would be some additional settings for each picked keyword.

I have the picking process working (well easy, just copy and paste from above mentioned module) and the listening of one keyword at the time. This weekend I would hopefully be able to listen to all selected keywords and send them back to a midi controller. Not until then I will have proof that my concept works.

Some big questionmarks are:
    - How can I make use of "midi pages" on the controllers.
    - How can I make it so that other modules won't disturb. Maybe not a problem... or maybe it is...

My thought was also to provide finished presets that matches the factory settings of some common midi controllers with midi feedback functionality.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Sounds nice. Do share what you find out along the way :)
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

I continued thinking about this. I am just now realizing that such a module that you describe - or the one that I had in mind - would not be able to send values from other modules, would it? I would not be able to get midi feedback of, say, the layer sequencer module, because modules have no keywords, right?
    The only way would be to modify each module as needed? Oh damn...
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:57 am

. the timing on this topic couldn't be better! :D

. i'm trying to figure out MIDI feedback/MIDI send from modul8 as well (primarily to interact w/other modules and later a MIDI->Multiplex box )

. boris said "Using MIDI feedback, MIDI CC/Note/Chanel is possible through the Module system. " (http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4362) but i'm not sure on the implementation

. i'd like to offer my assistance as well, and was planning on working through it this weekend.

. let me know what i can do to help! :)

-james
    (a nomad. )
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:44 am

Vibber wrote:I continued thinking about this. I am just now realizing that such a module that you describe - or the one that I had in mind - would not be able to send values from other modules, would it? I would not be able to get midi feedback of, say, the layer sequencer module, because modules have no keywords, right?
    The only way would be to modify each module as needed? Oh damn...

No, you are correct there, it won't send feedback from the modules controls. But on the other hand - most modules just use the keywords in a different way (or in a combination) than the main interface. So it will in most cases give feedback from what you do in the modules, but it will not reflect the controlls you created in your module.

As I see it now, you can't give feedback on modules without adding code to them. But I need to follow up what anomad wrote here below.

I'm getting started later this afternoon. I have to go furniture shopping first... (new studio soon - yaay!)
  • sveeta

Re: Request for layer_midi_mapping keyword

by sveeta » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 am

Vibber wrote:I have got myself a new Novation Nocturn midi controller and I tried sending midi feedback <...>
    This way my midi controller will always be updated and I avoid 'jumping values' when turning the knobs.

Hello Vibber and Fry_up!

I have a question for you. I'm planing on buying Novation Nocturn and one of the important things I'm looking for is endless knobs to avoid parameter jumps when I change layers. But from your discussion I got an impression that Nocturn still makes "jumps" although knobs are reportedly endless? Is it true? If yes, then have you by any chance managed to find a solution for this in the meanwhile? I'm not any good at coding so if you managed to make this midi out module I would be really very grateful if you could share it!

Thank you in advance for you help!!
    Sveeta/Nep Tong
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 am

Hmmm, let's see if I understand you correctly...

Modul8 doesn't send anything back to the Nocturn so it won't notice if you change a control using the computer instead of your Nocturn. And if you change Layer Sets, the Nocturn won't notice either. In those two cases you will get a parameter jump.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the knobs being endless, it's that Modul8 doesn't send any midi data back by default (but M8 supports it, if you want to code it yourself).

Haven't had time to finish my midi MIDI feedback module but I feel I need to take a look at it again soon. Somebody has added the request for a built in midi feedback function, go vote for it:
    http://modul8.uservoice.com/forums/48885-general it's the one called "MIDI feedback like ableton live"
  • sveeta

by sveeta » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Thank you for a fast answer! now I think I get it: if I control my Modul8 parameters mapped on Nocturn only via Nocturn and don't touch them in Modul8 GUI I won't get any jumping values, right?

Just one overall question - how does this Nocturn feel with Modul8? would you recommend it? (if you use it ;)

I voted for Midi feedback, should be a useful feature!
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Wed May 05, 2010 9:55 pm

I have created a midi feedback module called 'Two Way MIDI'. I have not yet released it to the module library. If you would like to help test it, please go to www.udart.dk and find my contact deatils. or send me a private message here on the forum.