TouchOSC + OSC Global module
  • Echoplex

novice need help

by Echoplex » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi

I'm a novice in Midi an OSC,

I created a TouchOSC layout and trying to control some thing directly with the OSC Modul.

Step by step

1/ I put this OSC messages in TouchOSC Editor:
    /md8key/ctrl_layer_hidden/1
    /md8key/ctrl_layer_alpha/1

2/ I launch Modul8 with the OSC Modul setting like this:
    Listener Network Port 8002 (default setting

3/ I push on the button and move the fader and nothing happend.

What have I done wrong ???

Thanks for your help !
    eyeborg

TouchOSC receiving from Modu8

by eyeborg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Hey!

I've just started messing around with TouchOSC + OSCulator, and so far so good. I've made a little interface on my iPhone to control certain features in M8. Fun!

Did someone say they know how to get the TouchOSC to receive messages from M8 so that it reflects the positions of the sliders etc when I use them on my computer? TouchOSC flashes the little red light when I use M8 on the computer so I know it's receiving signals but nothing moves...

And yes, how annoying that there are no radio buttons...! Or is there a SIMPLE workaround apart from making two OSCulator documents etc? If it gets too complicated my brain gets frazzled... ouch.

:D

grete
    eyeborg.co.uk
  • Echoplex

by Echoplex » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:29 pm

the midi feedback is huge problem.

for some commad, you can map them with teh "two way midi" module. and you should have a feedback.

Another solution is to use the OSC module to cominate directrly from your iDevice to M8.. But you have to give the right OSC message ti each button/slider/...
    eyeborg

by eyeborg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:12 am

The Two way Midi Module works, thanks so much for your advice! I would never have found it without your help.

:D :D :D

grete
    eyeborg.co.uk
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 am

There should be no need for Osculator when using (the latest version of) Touch OSC. The latest version does both OSC and Midi.

You can controll everything in Modul8's main interface with OSC and you can get feedback. The good thing with OSC is that you it has higher resolution. You don't want to convert OSC back to MIDI. The bad thing with OSC in Modul8 is that you can't control modules.

Since you can send / receive Midi in the latest version of TouchOSC you might just use that to map everything in Modul8 including modules. Once again, no need for Osculator. You have to learn how to use Core Midi I think that is on the Hexler web site (the maker of Touch OSC).
    eyeborg

by eyeborg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:12 am

Hi Midi Thief!

Thanks for your info, yes you are right, TouchOSC does send midi. Until now I just followed online how-to's that are probably quite out of date.

Now I got it working without OSCulator, although only sending, not receiving, so I'm back to square one. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - I guess I need to learn more about midi...

grete
    eyeborg.co.uk
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:32 am

Maybe so. I think you should find everything you need to set up midi in TouchOSC and in OSX on the Hexler site: http://www.hexler.net.
    And then you can map video as you do with any Midi controller.
  • Echoplex

by Echoplex » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 am

Sure ! Touch OSC can send MIDI message and with the OSX configuration audio and MIDI.

I tried it with Midi Touch and again: no feedback

So I created a midi message in Touch OSC editor, I mapped it in M8 with the Two Way MIDI and it worked ! but I never receive any feedback...

The only feedback I can have from M8 is by using OSC module and give the good command to each button.

The second is to pass by OSCulator and map my layout with the Two Way MIDI module.
    But be careful: you cant export this mapping and if the modul crash, you loose completely your mapping. (It happend to me in the middle of my set...)
    eyeborg

by eyeborg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:32 pm

I've got it all working perfectly now and receiving midi. It seems my iPhone is a little bit temperamental. Sometimes it responds very slow, sometimes it won't process received midi. When it refuses to cooperate, I just have to set up all connections again, delete the old session and make a new one in Audio Midi Setup, and make sure this session is listed in the Two Way MIDI module. I click on it to make sure, apparently that establishes connection.

As for the module crashing during gigs, ouch, that must have been painful. There is sort of a way of backing up the midi map, the girl who made the module explains it in the FAQ here:
    http://www.udart.dk/2010/11/25/two-way-midi-module-for-modul8/

grete
    eyeborg.co.uk