Two way MIDI module
  • Vibber
    super8 member

Two way MIDI module

by Vibber » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:16 am

Two Way MIDI is a module that enables Modul8 to send a midi signal back to your midi device. Two Way MIDI will keep your midi device updated with the values from Modul8 so that you avoid annoying ‘jumps’ when the current setting of your device doesn’t match the values of Modul8.

Whenever you touch a control in Modul8 or switch to another layer Two way MIDI will update your MIDI device with the current values.

This module is only relevant if you have a midi device that is designed to receive MIDI as well as send MIDI. Typically these devices will have motorized faders or 360 degree (endless) knobs with LED displays. Examples of such are Novation MIDI controllers and Behringer BCF2000.

Read more here:
    http://www.udart.dk/2010/11/25/two-way- ... or-modul8/
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks a lot. I've dusted my behringer BCR and had a little play with the module. So far so good!

I'ts a shame that modules can't send MIDI feedback!
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:10 pm

I vote for an API so that you with a few lines of code can modify a module to work with the Two way Midi Module.
    Maybe I'll make my own offspring called "Tresome".
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:50 am

I wish I could use the actual word I want, but until then you are F*CK*#@ AWESOME!!!!

Now can anybody recommend the proper product to remove dust from a BCR2000.

:lol:
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 pm

use baby wipes if you really love it!
  • camil

by camil » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:12 am

This module is awesome! Not only can offer MIDI feedback, which i tested with AKAI APC 40 and works really well, but can offer direct address to any Modul8 control.So if you have an exact address for each parameter in Modul8 you won’t need to remap again and you can change address from programs like Isadora or midi translator on the fly.

Here is an example with only 2 parameters , layer1 alpha and scale:

http://gallery.me.com/camyl#100248/Scre ... olor=black

Congratulations for this module, great job!
  • cycloptic

by cycloptic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:43 am

vibber you are a dream
  • Echoplex

by Echoplex » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 pm

This module is great !

But unfortunately it doesn't work very well with Touch OSC and OSCulator.

When I set up the mapping, Touch OSC receive a feedback but after a short time, the feedback become weird or disapears...

Any idea ?
  • raylab

Re: Two way MIDI module

by raylab » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Just shared a modified version of this module in public library, see (raylab) Hybrid Two way MIDI (UDART).

Added:
    1. Extensions to handle devices or controls that do not support MIDI feedback: module will lock the incoming values until they match the current value of Modul8 control (sliders en knobs), so they wan’t jump when switching between layers. Use ‘feedback’ checkbox to choose. If checked, feedback is sent to control (original behaviour). If unchecked, module will lock the incoming value until match.
    2. Togggle option for buttons (very useful)
    3. Save/Load current midi map to/from file. Loading simply overwrites the current map.

This is beta, please test before using in production!
  • te-c
    super8 member

by te-c » Wed May 01, 2013 4:48 pm

For me Touch OSC over Core MIDI works well. Only one thing. If I have two controls on different pages but for the same control in Modul8 only one fader get feedback, the one Control on the other page doesn't react.
    What I mean exactly is:

On page one I build a fader for layer opacity for layer one in Modul8. I connect the fader via Core MIDI and Touch OSC with the MIDI Feedback module from UdArt. Everything works well. Now I build a second page in Touch OSC and build the same fader with the same function on this site. If I use the fader the feedback works only on the activated page. The fader on the first page doesn't react. Anything I'm doing wrong? It's the same MIDI number and channel for both faders.

And another question: maybe it's possible to re-programm the module that the feedback function works with different controlers. It would be great if different controlers would react to the controls. So if I use a fader on my BCF the fader on my iPad do the same.
    /// Chuck Goldfinger ::: Live Visuals Frankfurt /// VJing, Videomapping, Stagedesign, Photography, Graphic Design and more based in Rhein-Main area ::: by bk-Art.org ///
  • Davidkam

by Davidkam » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:09 pm

This is great..This version is super cool i am thing how will be the upgraded version..!!