(LT) live monitor v4.7
    lotech
    ultim8 member

(LT) live monitor v4.7

by lotech » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:04 am

I finally took some time to learn some basics of building a module. Although I did do some of the coding, lots of the work is thanks to other modules from other users - specifically VaiVendo, gNomalab & GarageCUBE. Big thanks to anomad for his bug fix.
    v4.6 - Thanks to VisionSonore for the code to add group copy and Lupin for main output AutoFade.

The module is available now via the Online Module Library inside Modul8 and works for both v2.5 & v2.6.

Why?
    There are other short comings in the Modul8 GUI - most of which had been solved using other modules but I found myself with far too many modules open and too little screen space to show them on.
    I also generally play direct to the projector and found myself using Modul8 as my primary mixer. It's annoying to have to enable faders every time I started the app. So to solve this I made a mixer mode switch allowing for quick switching between A/B Mixing (V4 Mode) and 10 layer compositing (Modul8 Mode).

Modules Used:

(vv) live monitor v3b
    Movie Scratch (layer)
    (lpn) Alpha AutoFade (master)
    Zoom Preview (UI).
    gN Crossfader+Cut

Features:

Size
    Designed to fit perfectly on the left of Modul8 on a 15" MBP (1440x900) Screen. Adds features we need in the main GUI but aren't there and lets you control them all via MIDI.

Mixer Modes
    Switch between Modul8's default 10 layer mode and the 2 bus mixer mode. V4 mode includes a cut button and an auto fade with duration input.
    Clone each Bus A/B up and down. Clear a bus (5 layers) at once.
    Thanks to gN Crossfader + Cut for the original code.

Layer Preview + Controls
    Displays thumbnail of each layer, along with Play/Pause buttons for each layer.

Output Fade
    Fade to black in a timed maner. Handy for shows.

Reset Master Panel
    Resets all global settings from the master panel.

Preview Controls
    Midi assignable buttons to allow you either switch to OUT, Group Inv or just switch between the two. For those using v2.6.2+ this module supports controls of preview window zooming very handy for those using advanced output.

CHANGELOG
    v4.6 - Added Output fade to black, added copy A<>B Buses, Clear A/B. Set Mixr mode by default. Removed a bunch of features that are now found in (LT) Current Clip.
    v4.6.5 - Fixed big bug I added in v4.6+, module sets OUT to display in the preview by default, Copy is now set to not overwrite current layers by default, reset master actually resets everything in the master panel now. Replaced Automatic crossfade code to the same as the Alpha xfade by VJ Lupin as its heaps better. Some GFX fixes.
    v4.7 - Adds support for preview zoom - really handy for those of us using advanced output. Modul8 v2.6.2+ required.

Last edited by lotech on Sat May 21, 2011 4:23 am, edited 15 times in total.
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:25 am

I love love love this!!! Been using Modul8 for years and this just opened up some more fun. This is why I believe none of the other Vj programs can hold a candle to Modul8. If you don't like something just change it. I opened this on my Mac Pro and loved it. I then tried on my 13in MacBook Pro. As it was formatted for the 15in it was off the screen. I edited a Module for the first time and am amazed at how easy it was. Lotech you inspire me, keep up the good work! I am going to tweak and make it work for me, but if anybody needs a 13in version I'll upload when I am sure it works right.
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm

I've just updated this module with a couple of cool new features (main out fade to black).

It now defaults to MIXR mode. If you don't like this hashtag out 3 lines in the modules init().

You can also copy between A & B Bus and clear a bus in one click. Thank you to VisionSonore for the code there.

I removed a couple of features that are now in my (LT) Current Clip module.

I've updated the screen shot of my current Modul8 screen layout to show how all my modules work together.
  • ilan

by ilan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Not my thing in terms of having too much of an interface to deal with but it is really, really nice work. Definitely a blog post!
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Looks overwhelming at first but once you understand the layout it makes sense (all the while fitting perfectly on a 15" MBP).

Both bottom modules relate directly to the currently selected clip and give extended access to controls of that clip. Handy.
    tdog
    super8 member

by tdog » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 pm

13" please......

tdog.
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Tue May 03, 2011 3:13 am

Really like your module, have been using it for a while... is there a way to substitute in the preview panel the Group Inv for Out MIX... I do it myself but have no idea how to. Could you please tell how to =)
    Gracias!

g.
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 am

If you're up for some basic module editing you can change it easily.
    Open the editor & module, click scripts at the bottom. Now go to MessageEvent(Msg,Param) section via the drop down up top.
    It should have the following code at the top:

Code: Select all

value = param['value']
    #print 'msg=',msg,' value=',value

# LIVE/MONITOR
    if msg == 'preview_live' :
       modul8.setValue('ctrl_ui_previewWindowMode', 6, 0)
       module.setValue('but_monitor', 0, 0)
       module.setValue('but_live', 0, 1)
    elif msg == 'preview_monitor' :
       modul8.setValue('ctrl_ui_previewWindowMode', 2, 0)
       module.setValue('but_monitor', 0, 1)
       module.setValue('but_live', 0, 0)
    elif msg == 'preview_switch' and value != 0:
       prev = modul8.getValue('ctrl_ui_previewWindowMode', 0)
       if prev == 6 or prev == 7:
          modul8.setValue('ctrl_ui_previewWindowMode', 2, 0)
          module.setValue('but_monitor', 0, 1)
          module.setValue('but_live', 0, 0)
       else:
          modul8.setValue('ctrl_ui_previewWindowMode', 6, 0)
          module.setValue('but_monitor', 0, 0)
          module.setValue('but_live', 0, 1)

Now if you find the two occurrences of modul8.setValue('ctrl_ui_previewWindowMode', 2, 0)
    and change the 2 to a 5.

If you want you can then switch back to the visual editor and change the caption for PRV to a more accurate one. Disco.
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Wed May 04, 2011 8:42 am

I just updated the module, found a pretty major bug that caused the whole of Modul8 slow down. Anyone using v4.6+ should update.
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Thu May 05, 2011 5:32 pm

Thank you!!
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
    lotech
    ultim8 member

by lotech » Sat May 21, 2011 12:33 am

For those of us using the new v2.6.2 beta of Modul8 - I've just updated the module to v4.7 which adds preview zoom control. This is a copy/paste of the Garagecube module but is now simply a option panel in the module.
    Users of v2.6.1 and below won't see any change at all.