Spectrum Analyzer Module?
  • meiso

Spectrum Analyzer Module?

by meiso » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:27 am

Does it exist?

I'm looking to simulate something like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmXbSpYqBGY

So far it looks like I'm gonna have to build one! :D

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've searched the forum using the terms I know and could only find an old reference to a QTZ file that doesn't work under Leopard or Snow Leopard. The other thread I found involved using OSCulator and MIDI but doesn't give me the effect I'm looking for.

Thanks!
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:26 pm

. i don't think there's one in modul8... but it could be done w/the audio analysis in v2.6.1

. however - you'd probably need to use TEXT or a hybrid of the painter module so that you wouldn't be limited to 10 layers...

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • meiso

by meiso » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 pm

That's a great suggestion.. But using the basic controls, Modul8 limits me to using only 3 EQ ranges (low, mid and high).

Could the data from the sound analysis control panel, which has 10 VU meters per channel, be used to build a module which displays those values graphically on the canvas?

I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know where to begin but it would be VERY cool to have a module like this.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 pm

. well, if you look at the EqTest (example) module, you'll see a way to grab all audio bands in a module

for index,value in enumerate(modul8.getSoundBands()) :
    module.setValue (str(index),0,value)

. so, that as a base, if you had a TEXT layer, you could create a 20 (width) by 10/20/30 (height) array and populate with *'s or use a custom font that just had boxes, then just print the array to the TEXT layer...

. you'd probably take a hit on processing power, but I think it could look pretty cool.

. as for not being a programmer, i encourage you to dig into some of the modules and see what they're made of. they're a lot simpler than you might expect. :)

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • meiso

by meiso » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look as you suggest. Hopefully it won't be completely unintelligible to me!

Cheers!
  • meiso

by meiso » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:26 am

Wow.

No idea where to even begin.

I want to put 20 shapes on a single layer. Maybe that's the wrong way to go about it.. Maybe I have to make 20 masks to cover a single layer.. IS that even possible? Then I'd have to have each shape/mask respond in vertical position to one of the VU meters in the Sound Analysis panel. I think I'm gonna have to go read the modul8 manual to do this..

I would really appreciate someone giving me some tips to begin with. I'm completely lost right now! :)

Thanks.\

EDIT.. Reading manual..

That EQTest module is PERFECT.. I just need to figure out how to display it on the canvas...
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:23 am

No, you can't mask one layer, a mask applies to the whole output. If you want many shapes in one layer you might try these two things:

- Put something (a png shape rather than a video) in a layer and select that layer.
    - Turn on the Transformer in the main interface and select Matrix.
    - Increase the X Y (and Z) values to get more of the same shape in one layer.

- Switch from Matrix to Particles and you will get particles based on the same shape. You can use the knobs to change the speed, number of particles, radius, size, gravity, movement, etc.

It's just using one and the same shape but at least you get more object per layer.
  • meiso

by meiso » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:36 am

From what I've read so far.. I think I could base a Spectrum Analyzer module on a combination of the paint layer and the EQTest modules.

I would just use 10 or 20 rectangles in a single layer, with each rectangle's vertical position or scale being controlled/transformed by the value of one of the VU meters in the Audio Analysis panel.

I could be completely wrong though. I am very much in over my head right now.
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:38 am

. i think the Paint idea might work... start simple, just use the low - med - high and work your way from that.

. keep at it, i'm sure you'll figure it out. :)

. check out the 'NR Circles' nativeresolution just posted to the public modules. it's a pretty straightforward example of how to access paint module features in a module.

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • meiso

by meiso » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 am

Hey James,

I just sent you a PM in desperation LOL.

I checked out the NR Circles, but I'm very much at a loss about the whole structure of how to build my scripts.. I see that it starts out with variables, then get into generating the circles and manipulating them based on more variables.. then I get lost.

I need to sit down with someone who understands this and have them explain it part by part. I know I can build my module, I just need some help getting started.

Thanks.