datamosh module
  • gnologi

datamosh module

by gnologi » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Has anybody crafted a module that would allow on the fly "datamoshing" ?
  • ilan

by ilan » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Get Syphon input working:

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/modul8/videos/25317994

Then download this QC plug-in:

http://kriss.cx/tom/datamosh/
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:17 am

awesome! thanks
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:35 am

what i meant by awesome was how, after getting syphon to run, do you get the Datamosh Plugin to work? I followed the instructions in the download zip to Place the plugin in your "~/Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Plug-Ins/" folder, but i don't know what to do with the qtz files.
    Do you have any ideas?
    Thanks, and also im new to this qtz business.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Yeah, it's quite a step to learn Quartz Composer but it's well worth it if you want to expand your "techiness" in VJing.

Make sure you have Quartz Composer installed and the Syphon plugin for QC, then have a look at this post:

http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

It's works the same way in how you add a Syphon server and pipe the image to it.

I hope it helped!
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:39 pm

thanks midi thief!
    Question though, when you say it's the same as adding the syphon server you mean open QC and open Datamosh Example.qtz then just add a syphon server? Or am I supposed to combine Bangnoise's Video Delay example comp with the datamosh qtz file? Also, on a side note, i think i am going to research QC a little more, if you know of any good sources to do so please feel free to share.
    Thanks.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:02 am

No, you don't need the Delay comp at all, just attach the Syphon server the same way by dragging a cord from "Image" on the Datamoish patch to "Image" on the Syphon server patch.

Note that you have to start QC in 32-bit mode for the Datamosih plugin to work. I missed that first but it was a clear RTFM moment.

And you need to add video sources to the Datamoish example. Either just drop two quicktime videos in to the QC comp and connect them to "Video 1" and "Video 2". Or add a "Video input" patch and use your iSight (if you have one).
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Awesome thanks Midi Thief, that worked wonderfully. there's a big latency that's not really a problem, but i suppose it's the 8 apps i have running at the same time that could be the issue. Now i'm gonna set up two input sources and try to datamosh between them pre (two syphon severs) and post quartz (two modul8 layers).

I'm slowly wrapping my head around this business.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

Yeah, I tried running several Syphon inputs in Modul8 and it wasn't the best idea. I had more latency for each layer I added. The QC Rehab hack makes it a bit slower too. Your 8 apps probably doesn't help either. Do your really need 8 apps running at the same time?!
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 am

A little tip: If you want to use more videos in your Datamoish comp you can create a little switcher by using a Multiplexer patch and Midi Controllers Receiver patch. In that way you can switch them while with a Midi controller while you're in Modul8.
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm only running 8 apps cause i'm doing 8 different things at the same time, unrelated. Thanks for the tip also. I think the live datamoshing isn't gonna be my best route. I might as well take the time to datamosh the clips i want datamoshed. I found some really helpful tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYytVzbPky8

there's three parts to that and the apps to do datamoshing are in the description of the video.

All i have to figure out now is if i want to go with grimy or clean visuals, probably a healthy combination of both. :D
  • gnologi

Re: datamosh module

by gnologi » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:11 am

thanks, great info, can't wait to test