Timeline Module for Modul8
  • benga

by benga » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 pm

oops I hit the "new topic" button instead of the reply.

some timelines here, hope they'll be helpful. they're not the clearest of layouts as this was still a testing phase.
    The first two screen shots were simply tryouts to test the live modul8 reactivity. the "bank" track are note clip triggers which send out a midi note thus triggering the media assigned in parallel in M8. As you can see this one moves fast, first one media is triggered, followed by some alpha ( volume curve changes), then it triggers many media / visual changes.this was done to test for latency. when you the clips go up the "scale", it triggers the assigned m8 media in the layers, at the desired speed, which can be quite fast.
    Of course if one was to reproduce the timeline example given in the initial post of this thread, things would be much more simple.

the "midi" track's drawn curve works on the m8 controls, in this case the ableton live volume to the layer's alpha.
    In the first shot, there are some audio clips. they can be linked to the m8 changes or independent ( which requires more precision in the disposition of the triggers)

http://strangebirds.free.fr/screen/Image%201.png

http://strangebirds.free.fr/screen/Image%202.png

this last screen shot is of a setup which uses the now obsolete "midi feedback" hack, it is an improvisational setup in ableton's "scene mode" which clips are loaded into clip slots, each assigned to a modul8 layer ( 8 tracks, 8 layers). The track volue is also assigned to the 8 layer's alpha fader.
    this was controlled by a BCF2000, vertically scrolling up and down in the scenes, and also included an independent fixed timeline audio + visual triggering in the background.

http://strangebirds.free.fr/screen/Image%203.png

in all of these setups the midi is routed internally via the IAC3 driver

ben
    cie sisyphe heureux
  • bratch
    super8 member

Re: Timeline Module for Modul8

by bratch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Well, i just comeback on this topic because i really think it's worth talking about it.! it would be so great to have a timeline (just as below by example) in next version of M8. Please please please.Would it be possible? are you guys working on it? :shock: :D :shock: Thanks

deckard97 wrote:Here is a conceptual mock-up of a possible Timeline Module for Modul8.

With the engine behind Modul8 and the upcoming v2.5, Modul8 with a timeline and multiple outputs could pose a serious threat to the likes of Dataton Watchout, Hippotizer, Pandora's Box Media Server, etc. Most of these systems cost from 10K$ US to 25K$ US to get going.

Modul8 with a timeline and a fast PCI Express Mac could make an awesome setup.

This Timeline is very basic, its elements are a set of layers, already found in Modul8, but presented on a timeframe, so we can see the length of the medias presented, called Sprites.

Each Sprite can have as many Keyframes as one wishes, these Keyframes act as modifiers for the Modul8 interface, just as a MIDI controller would.

The asset of Keyframes is tremendous, it means that one can set a Keyframe at the begining of a Sprite with a few attributes (scale, opacity, x, y, z positions, etc) and set another keyframe 10 seconds later and where some of these attributes are changed. The Timeline Module would then interpret every frame in between and make for some pretty cool effects.

Sprites can be stretched as long as the composition goes. Choices if the media ends could be to loop, play backwards or simply stop, maybe even time stretch.

Playback Keyframes are playback conditions, such as "Pause", "Loop on frame", or "Skip to Marker", etc. They could also toggle layers ON or OFF.

We might have to consider a "MASTER" layer, which would affect every layers.

My Python Kung-Fu is probably not up to snuff for such a Module, but if nobody is interested in investing time developping it, I'll probably give it a try.

In october 2006 we enter another stage of the creation process of a play we are working on and having Modul8 with a Timeline Module would be a terrific asset.[/img]
  • bratch
    super8 member

X Mas gift?

by bratch » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Hello, i've ordered a timeline for Xmas, hope Santa Claus will bring it to M8 users. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    zoophar
    activ8 member

timeline ? / keyframes purpose

by zoophar » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:14 am

Hello everybody,
    Santa came to town and we spend some time together...
    he said m8 users have been nice this year... and me to but he is not a programmer... me neither....

BUT:
    we tried to make together something like a keyframe module....
    (not ready yet but maybe it would be ready for when the king magus (?)
    will give the gift to the little jesus....)

• for now, this keyframe module has these fonctionnalities:

A) to create a new keyframe:
      1) Select keywords to be manipulated via a pick in UI button(can choose what you want, but some won't work as expected)
      2) Select a time in seconds (the time for the keyframe to be set)
      3) Make the changes via the M8 user interface for the keywords to be manipulated
      4) store the keyframe and the keywords values in lists
      5) for each new keyframe, make step from 1 to 4...

B) these keyframes and values are saved automatically... module.setDefaults()
    C) No end time (can set another keyframe two hours later... )
    D) can delete all keyframes or one keyframe
    F) when the last keyframe is reached, return to the beginning....

• TO BE DONE: (and the module will be ready):
      > Make an interpolation between values from one keyframe to another
      > Have the possibility to insert keyframes in the middle of the time:
      my last keyframe is set at 45 secs and i want to create a new one at 10 secs
      > Clean the module graphic interface (for now vvvvvery dirty)
      > 'Select Layer' option
      > Make a tutorial (because it doesn't look at what we saw in this topic at all)
      make a direct link to tuto and mail(for support) from the module

this module is a first shot, i know it's not M8ers girlfriendly
    (:arrow: it is not as friendly to you as your girlfriend is to you)
    but with a little time, i'm shure you will find it as frienly as your dog....

i will post something here as soon as it will be sharable...
    and hope that it will serve for future dev'
    BUT WIlL STILL BE BETA VERSION WHEN POSTED !!!!!

cheers to all of you
    and have a nice new-year's celebration !!!
    zoophar
    activ8 member

by zoophar » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:49 pm

So, i uploaded something in the library,
    it's called (zr)keyframes-Beta 03

feel free to vote, and say it's crapp or good at this adress
    http://www.garagecube.com/forum/viewtop ... 2676#12676

Thanks
    zoophar
    activ8 member

by zoophar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Made an update for the module keyframes,
    Changed the GUI to feel more guided in the process of making "keyframes",

this module controls the keywords value in time

More info and download on this page

Comments are welcome even if it's mean
  • deckard97

by deckard97 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Zoophar, I think this is a very good start to a long overdue module.
    With some math for keyframe interpolation (ease-in/out), direct scrubbing in the timeline and a few things here and there and that would be something I could actually use.

Let me know how I can be of assistance and keep up the good work.
  • nikon

by nikon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:01 pm

will it ever be implemented to module8? im looking for time line with dmx control and MTC(midi time clock smpte).
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Not trying to take anything away from Zoophar's initiative but why does so many people want Modul8 to be a timeline based program? Modul8 is the EXACT OPPOSITE, it's a timeline FREE program for live performance. There are other softwares better suited for timeline based triggering for theathres and such. QLab is one example (http://figure53.com/qlab/).

I personally don't want the Garagecube team to bother with a timeline. It's a small team and a timeline project would waste a lot of time in development. Time I rather see them spend on other things on the user's most wanted list. I am in the belief that moving towards a timeline would make the Garagecube team take the wrong direction and make Modul8 loose ground as a live performace tool. Many of us are already complaining about lack of features and slow development. A timeline sure would't help Modul8 to grow as a live performace tool. Be careful what you ask for - you might create a monster.

So, now that's been said, sorry for the rant but I thought it was necessary. Garagecube are spending time on other things than Modul8, like The Mad Mapper. But that's a good thing. A lot of us has asked for better video mapping features and now some of those things are being moved to the Mad Mapper Software instead of clogging up Modul8 with video mapping features. And since The Mad Mapper will work with other VJ softwares, it will strengthen Garagecube's position on the market which is good for us all.

Zoophar, sorry for hijacking your thread. I will check out your module and see how well it does. I rather actually rather see this as a module even if it currently isn't possible to make a timeline module that is as good as one integrated in the M8 interface. Maybe the solution is to create more options for us module makers to make more advanced modules. I don't really know the limitations to this but that would be an interesting discussion to start with.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:00 pm

The Midi Thief wrote:Not trying to take anything away from Zoophar's initiative but why does so many people want Modul8 to be a timeline based program? Modul8 is the EXACT OPPOSITE, it's a timeline FREE program for live performance. There are other softwares better suited for timeline based triggering for theathres and such. QLab is one example (http://figure53.com/qlab/).

I personally don't want the Garagecube team to bother with a timeline. It's a small team and a timeline project would waste a lot of time in development. Time I rather see them spend on other things on the user's most wanted list. I am in the belief that moving towards a timeline would make the Garagecube team take the wrong direction and make Modul8 loose ground as a live performace tool. Many of us are already complaining about lack of features and slow development. A timeline sure would't help Modul8 to grow as a live performace tool. Be careful what you ask for - you might create a monster.

So, now that's been said, sorry for the rant but I thought it was necessary. Garagecube are spending time on other things than Modul8, like The Mad Mapper. But that's a good thing. A lot of us has asked for better video mapping features and now some of those things are being moved to the Mad Mapper Software instead of clogging up Modul8 with video mapping features. And since The Mad Mapper will work with other VJ softwares, it will strengthen Garagecube's position on the market which is good for us all.

Zoophar, sorry for hijacking your thread. I will check out your module and see how well it does. I rather actually rather see this as a module even if it currently isn't possible to make a timeline module that is as good as one integrated in the M8 interface. Maybe the solution is to create more options for us module makers to make more advanced modules. I don't really know the limitations to this but that would be an interesting discussion to start with.

Thank you! I think exactly the same.
    I feel that most people who require new features all the time are not the *power users* or *pro* users. For them this is like a toy where you you want something hew all the time. Personally I do not see real use for timeline. Also screen estate is limited already, so where I would keep tis huge module.
    And I think and have said it many times before lets Modul8 stay compact and coherent as it is - not to scatter all over the video market.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:02 pm

I haven't yet had a gig where a timeline is required. But without having tried it I am more and more in favour of having a dedicated timeline application that would control Modul8 via MIDI (or OSC).
    This is of course more complicated to set up but on the other hand you have the freedom to choose your favourite application.

Examples of a timeline app would be Ableton Live or alternatively I have also been considering QLab for this.
    The Midi Thief
    master

by The Midi Thief » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Vibber wrote:Examples of a timeline app would be Ableton Live or alternatively I have also been considering QLab for this.

I don't know if you're using the iPad but you could consider using an iPad based sequencer as well. Maybe one that supports MIDI over network. I haven't tested that yet.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:12 pm

Yes, haven't got myself one yet, but that would definitely be a good option. Do you know any app names?
  • nikon

by nikon » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:15 pm

vanakaru wrote:Thank you! I think exactly the same.
    I feel that most people who require new features all the time are not the *power users* or *pro* users. For them this is like a toy where you you want something hew all the time. Personally I do not see real use for timeline. Also screen estate is limited already, so where I would keep tis huge module.
    And I think and have said it many times before lets Modul8 stay compact and coherent as it is - not to scatter all over the video market.

Atm i think im a pro user, i work constantly in Poland on shows like global gathering, godskitchen, tiesto, armin and other big events with crap trance music. Belive me there is a need for a light vj software, with a timeline that can be controled by dmx, output audio/video and dont cost 10k$.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:51 pm

nikon wrote:Atm i think im a pro user, i work constantly in Poland on shows like global gathering, godskitchen, tiesto, armin and other big events with crap trance music. Belive me there is a need for a light vj software, with a timeline that can be controled by dmx, output audio/video and dont cost 10k$.

Try qLab. It may be exactly what you are looking for. The bonus is you do not need to purchase it - you can rent a license daily basis.