Quartz Composer Module?
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

Quartz Composer Module?

by pele2010 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:00 pm

hi ,

is it possible to script a module that controls parameters of a QC Composition ?

And if so : How do i address the code ?

is this made with python ?

any help on this would be great.

thanx

pele2010
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
    The Midi Thief
    master

Re: Quartz Composer Module?

by The Midi Thief » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:11 am

I have never been successful in making any good communication between Modul8 modules and Quartz comps that are loaded into M8. But you could write to a xml file and have the QC file read from that but I don't think that's a very good method if you have a lot of precise data that needs to be transfered. That would create a lot of unwanted disk activity.

You could go another way and have run your QC file in Quartz Composer and send over Syphon to Modul8. Then you can control you QC file from M8 with Midi (or OSC but that gets a bit more complicated). This method will cause you a few frames delay unfortunately.
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 pm

This is exciting that one can control parameters of quartz files but it's not exciting that it's driven by resolume
    http://vimeo.com/11047601
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I've been thinking the same thing. The only solution I can realistically see working is that the Quartz patch communicates with a Modul8 module via OSC. then you would have to implement a OSC server in each Quartz file you make. It could be done I'm sure but I never finished the project as I thought the idea would not be simple enough to be usable for other people. Instead I've moved on to other VJ apps instead of Modul8 when I need QC integration.
    orion
    super8 member

by orion » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:50 am

I agree, I like using the newest version of mix emergency for quartz files and then piping that into modul8. a friend of mine uses quartz exclusively for vjing. to each their own i suppose. I must admit that though that I haven't pursued quartz that heavily and mostly because it doesn't flow well with m8.
  • Vibber
    super8 member

by Vibber » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I have given up the idea of making Quartz work in Modul8 as I have had several experiences with features of Quartz not working (even with hacks such as the QCrehab plugin developed by Kineme) and also I've experienced poor performance compared to the same Quartz patches in other VJ apps. Even though it's possible to obtain better framerates by converting a quartz file via Quicktime to a .mov it's still not fast enough compared to how it should work.