Filter module- non selected layer mapping + momentary switc
  • Videometry

Filter module- non selected layer mapping + momentary switc

by Videometry » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi collective VJ brain,

I am having 2 problems with the Filter module, maybe one of your bright folks can help me out :)

problem 1: I would like to midi map the Filter module to more then 1 layer at a time, I noticed that this is possible with other aspects of modul8 but not the filters. Has anybody figured this out? Ideally, I'd like to have the filter module effecting the global output, not the selected layer. I figure if I can map two layers simultaneously I'll get the same result. Have tried pretty hard but not found a way to do this yet, anybody know how to do this?

problem 2: Sending the module momentary notes acts like a toggle switch, sending toggles acts like a double toggle. I've noticed that this is not the case with older versions of modul8. Is there any way to make it just act like momentary buttons again? Would really like the filter to only be on when I hold down the button :)

also, not as much a problem as a feature request- does anybody know what it would take to get the values from the filter module to be OSC ready? They don't show up in Osculator for me so I'm assuming that the module doesn't support OSC. I'd love to know what it would take / how I could help to have the module contain this kind of functionality, I think it would be a great addition to the software.

Using filter 1.7
    Thanks for your advice!
    The Midi Thief
    master

Re: Filter module- non selected layer mapping + momentary s

by The Midi Thief » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:24 pm

For the OSC part:
    Anything in the main interface can be controlled with OSC and you don't need OSCulator at all. Use the OSC (global) module. What software are you using to control Modul8 with?
    Modules can't be controlled with OSC right now. However since you can use most keywords, you can still do a bit more than only controlling the main interface. It is possible to extend the OSC module and add code to the modules that you ant to control. It's quite a big job however.
  • ilan

by ilan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm

If you are using TouchOSC then you can skip dealing with OSC and just use MIDI and this will allow you to map controls to modules instantly.
  • Videometry

by Videometry » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for the responses!

lian - I am using midi to map the modules currently. However, it is still giving me the problem where my momentary switches are being treated like toggles and my toggles are being treated like double toggles. I'd just rather use OSC since its higher res / has feedback but this doesn't seem to be set up. Do you know how I can control the Filter module on more then 1 layer at a time / is this possible?

Midi Thief - First- thanks for all your other comments on this forum its definitely helped me solve some problems in the past. Here's a bit on my setup maybe you can help me out...

I run modul8 via OSCulator with primarily with two Wiimotes and a Wii Fit. I've mapped the main interface with OSC through the global OSC module and am using midi out of OSCulator to control the modules since they have no OSC tags.

I have the filter module mapped so if I press the up button on wiimote 1, it will turn on the filter bank 1, and the parameters of that filter are mapped to the wii fit and wiimote motion controls. (for example, four fold reflection filter has the angle and width mapped to the angle and pitch of the wiimote, and the point of reflection on the x and y axis of the wiifit all via midi out of Osculator).

I'd love for this all to be totally momentary for when I'm holding the up button, but right now the filter is either on or off, not just while I hold it down. If I send a momentary switch it just acts like a double toggle. Any clue how to get this to be momentary? This shouldn't be hard right?...

Also still wondering if its possible to control those Filter effects on more then one layer at a time... Would this require extra programming also?

OSC is not really necessary just kind of wondering what it would take to get it running on the modules. So you say its possible to control modules with OSC through keywords and reprogramming the OSC module? I Don't think I'm ready for that kind of programming yet unfortunately...

Thanks again for the help!
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Videometry wrote:Also still wondering if its possible to control those Filter effects on more then one layer at a time... Would this require extra programming also?

. in all honesty, writing a module to handle the effects is probably going to be your best bet. the Filter(layer) module is layer contextual, and would require a substantial rewrite to handle multiple layers.

. check out my stab at it '120 av fx' - (although, it could use a bit of an update/rewrite - i was still learning python then)

. getting the fx definitions is pretty easy, then you just update values in your fx array and push them to the fx routines

. you'll be able to specify which fx go to which layers, set the toggle vs instantaneous behavior that you're looking for and (as in the case 120 av fx) set low and high limits to the effect being used, so that a pixellate doesn't become a solid colored screen.

. let me know if you have any questions.

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • Videometry

by Videometry » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 pm

anomad,

Thank you for your response. I checked out your 120 av fx module its pretty cool! Gets some crazy results quite quickly...Also loving your spirograph module :)

Sounds like I do need to create a module to do what I want in Modul8. Having the enable buttons on the Filter module be momentary is in my highest priority of these problems- Should it be possible / relatively easy to just modify the Filter module to have momentary enable buttons? I'd love for the enable button to work like the JOLT button in the (i) Jolt Module. Been looking at the code for these modules but can't quite figure out what I need to do to make this adjustment, any help here is highly appreciated :)

Thanks!
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 am

.sure

. if you have the current Filter module up, close it

. open up Modules -> Editor
    . select Filter (layer) and click the 'duplicate' button in the bottom right hand corner.
    . rename your filter to differentiate it from the original filter module
    . in the GUI, click one of the 'Enabled' buttons, uncheck 'Selected' and 'Toggle'
    . repeat for the other three buttons
    . select 'Modules' -> Restart

. and that should give you the only on behavior you're looking for. :)

-james
    (a nomad. )
  • Videometry

by Videometry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am

anomad- You da man! Problem is solved :) Thanks so much for your help on this, I knew that had to be in there somewhere!

I'm going to read up on making modules and see if I cant create something to do this on more then one layer at a time. Ideally I wish I could mix these filters over the output of A+B. I will upload it if I succeed!

You guys rock I sincerely appreciate your help on this. May the collective VJ brain help solve your problems in the future :)
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:36 am

. ok... you've intrigued me to take a deeper look into the Filters module...

. so - you *should* be able to apply the same four filters on all layers (or layers of your choosing) w/a little more monkeying around in the module...

. maybe try (on your copy of the module) in Init()

Code: Select all

# *** Set filters

def setFilters():
       filters = [{},{},{},{}]
       for i in range(0,4):
          if enabledPass[i]:
             filters[i] = filtersPass[i]
       modul8.setFilters(filters, 0, postFilters)

#   print filters

. the modul8.setFilters(filters, 0, postFilters) updates the filters on the current layer ( the '0' in the middle)

. so, if you wanted to effect layers 1,2,6,7 you could bring up the editor, in the 'visual' tab, click in the white space to the right of the module GUI so you see the 'Module Attributes' at top, the width, height and a checkbox that says 'Layer Contextual' - uncheck that box...

. then edit the above code (keep the tab indentations, python needs those) to

modul8.setFilters(filters, 1, postFilters)
    modul8.setFilters(filters, 2, postFilters)
    modul8.setFilters(filters, 6, postFilters)
    modul8.setFilters(filters, 7, postFilters)

. and you should be applying the same effects on those four layers... obviously, the more complex the effects, the more CPU you'll be using. you could get creative there and scan for all 'active' layers and update those (if you didn't want it hard coded)

. to do different effects on different layers, you will need to code something out... here's my 'pro-tip' for you :) - uncomment the line

# print filters

. by deleting the hashmark (#) and bring up the Modules -> Script -> Show Script Output
    . reload the module and you'll see what the effect dictionary looks like, ie:

{'FILTER': '(M8) Alpha Level', 'PARAMETERS': {'Smooth': 0.0, 'Limit': 0.0, 'Level': 1.0}}

. and you can work from there

. good luck!

-james
    (a nomad. )