trouble scripting with Text Input Control
  • Raz___

trouble scripting with Text Input Control

by Raz___ » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:33 am

To fill you in on whats going on, I am an art student designing an interactive installation trying to use a speech recognition software(dragon for mac) to play specific videos based on certain key words. for now using numbers.

I tried the obvious, just assigning videos to keyboard controls however dragon apparently does not actually send the keystroke signal properly for that to work. it only seems to write to a text field.

I have got it to work by using a text input control in a module and just reading the "live" input through the MessageEvent function. however I need it to be able to play videos one after another so i need the text field to clear after each use(or find some way to read only the most recent text input).

I have tried adding module.setValue( fieldName, 0, '' ) at the end of my script in MessageEvent, but the problem is this deselects the text control requiring me to click on it again with the mouse(which would kill the experience I am trying to create).

So my question is there anything I can add to my script to reselect the text field? or is there another way to clear it so that it does not deselect in the first place?
    sigmasix
    master

Re: trouble scripting with Text Input Control

by sigmasix » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:54 am

there are ways, but you'll have to dig into python…
    there's a module creation documentation you can access from the help menu
  • Raz___

Re: trouble scripting with Text Input Control

by Raz___ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:35 am

sigmasix wrote:there's a module creation documentation you can access from the help menu

I have been looking thoroughly at the both the modul8 manual(the one that you can download from 'yourspace') as well as the online module manual(posted at the top of the modules topic in the forum) and while I have found a lot of useful information I believe there is still some modul8 specific coding that not fully explained. Now I am a C++ guy so I may get my terminology off, but is there like a unified list, table, reference guide, or etc of all the member functions available to the different data structures such as the modules class/struct (ex. module.setValue() )? I picked up a little bit on how to call the modul8 class (ex. modul8.setValue() ) and how to use it to directly modify some aspects of the effects. but they dont go into much detail on all the parameters you can change in all the effects. Its all great for novice programmers and as im trying learn the python language, but the more I progress the more gaps I see in what is explained. im not sure what all data structures and member functions/variable are available or what arguments/parameters each function takes so its hard to really understand what scripting I can really do.