OSC messages
  • maxbruckert

OSC messages

by maxbruckert » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi everyone,
    I'm struggling with the OSC messages in M8 and MaxMSP. I'm trying to change the layerset to control the parameter of a specific layer : group A/layer1, etc.
    I've found the messages but it doesn't seem to work : /md8key/ctrl_master_layerSetGroupA/0, etc, etc
    I can see and can control everything else back-forth with maxMSP, but i'd rather not always send a "focus" message to a specific layer in a layerset to control it. It's not very straight-forward. I've checked the Keywords Browser but am still stuck. Does anyone have a fantastic clue here?
    Thanks again.
  • Invisible Ray

Re: OSC messages

by Invisible Ray » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:39 pm

Are you trying to send messages to a layer in an active layer set or a hidden layer set?

You don't need to change the focus to a layer in the active A or B layer set to control the layer. You can just change the parameters via the layer number: 1-10.
    Example: If you want to change the scale of layer 3 in the layer set GROUP A/0 but the current focused layer is layer 7, you can just send this keyword: modul8.setValue('ctrl_layer_scale_factorUniform',0.6,3)

I have not found a way to control a layer that is not in one of the active layer sets. Maybe you could do it by direct reference to the layer ID, which I think is unique for every instance of a layer in any of the layer sets. I don't know how to send a message to a layer via layer ID, though. That would be a great thing to be able to do, since you could get and store the ID for every layer you activate.