Live gear questions
  • Dvate

Live gear questions

by Dvate » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:34 am

New to the forum and to modul8. was wondering what gear people are using for shows and installations. I was thinking of getting modul8 and running it with Abelton Live on a Macbook w/2gigs ram,all controlled with my Lemur touch screen controller. In this set up, Is the macbook fast enuff to run both programs at once or sould I use a second laptop just for Modul8? Also, what would you all recomend looking into for digital projectors for venues? not really looking for quality image, mostly the size of the image.
    thanx big
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Odd Squid Visuals use:-

Modul 8 on MBP, or iMac Intel core2duo
    Codanova Controller
    Resolume on a PC laptop
    Behringer bcr2000 controller
    V4 Mixer
    Korg Entrancer
    Sony PD150 3ccd camcorder
    Archos AV500 media players
    Hitachi CPX444 - 3200 ansi Projector
    Assorted other projectors & fastfold screens depending on venue.

Sorry i cant answer the Abelton question

If image size is your main concern, check the lens ratio before buying, this depermines how far away your projector has to be for a given image size, for example we mainly use Hitachi Projectors because their lens ratio is a low 1.2:1, meaning for a 10ft image, the projector can be as close as 12 ft, some projectors are 1.5 or even 2:1, With a 2:1 ratio you'll need to be 20 feet away to get a 10ft image. This also can affect the image, more space between lens and screen means more ambient light, reducing image contrast & brightness. If you work in situation like we do with very limited space you will need a wide an angle lens as possible to get big image sizes.
    If you're looking at buying a projector, get the brightest you can afford, brightness is measured in ANSI Lumens, something around 2,500 plus should do most jobs. Optoma have just released a 4000 lumen one for a good price, model is EP780, i've ordered one to give it a try, i'll review it as soon as possible.

Hope that helps.

Nutcracker