VDMX5 supports OSC
  • cyberpatrolunit

VDMX5 supports OSC

by cyberpatrolunit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:01 pm

http://createdigitalmotion.com/2008/01/ ... listening/

From the article linked above:

The latest beta adds support for OpenSoundControl or OSC, a protocol for communicating between computers, hardware, and software. With high-resolution data, an open-ended naming scheme, and network savvy, OSC is just plain better than MIDI at at least some tasks. But it’s suffered from a lack of documentation, a vague specification that’s a bit too open-ended and daunting to developers, and most of all, a lack of critical mass as far as tools. One small step at a time, that’s changing.

Peter Kirn

though David Lublin from Vidvox warns:

…there’s still more to do with OSC, currently no way to trigger files, it’s just control data, but the core functionality for sending and receiving is there, so we really just need to start building on top of that for whatever protocols there are to support

…the OSC support is still very much in it’s early stages.. it is there and stable, but we are barely scratching the surface of what we can do with it

Anyway... just thought I'd share this info

my experience integrating OSC with Modul8 has been great so far, I would recommend some more concise documentation regarding Modul8 OSC capabilities, or limitations
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Actually in the process of documenting this for the printed manual. Something basic for novice users so we can raise awareness about OSC. This is in some ways more important then giving real in depth because most uber users go ahead and figure this stuff out over long nights of Mountain Dew and pizza anyway.
    G4jima

wii OSC

by G4jima » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 am

well its gonna be a good few more misty mountain nights over for me in Manchester, Pennines.

I cant even find a basic starting point for using keywords.... or where to enter them for that matter.

In the editor?

I have been attempting to use OSC global to filter info from my Wii remote
    I have seen demos of people using osc and wii remote to control the x y z positioning.

or perhaps the fader, simple stuff? perrhaps not.

A manual, a module and a good nights rest are what us non-coders are in need of. :(