Respect Your VJ
  • ilan

Respect Your VJ

by ilan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:07 pm

For all those looking for a sort of 'bill of rights' for VJing. Zarah Cabanas has created a very valuable document on a web site she has created:

http://www.respectyourvj.net/

She pretty much covers everything that everyone who does VJ'ing needs to know about. I think it would be great to spread this out there and maybe get some translations going into other languages.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:40 am

Nice article!

I miss a chapter about relation between light man and vjs... too many times I had one projector against dozens of lights and smoke and all this shit then the projection was hidden behind it and my work useless... this is something that must be discussed before the event.
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:42 am

I find the best thing to do is to get chummy with the lighting person. Bring them a beer, ask them what they do (don't tell them what they should do) and when you get to work they will often pay more attention to what you are doing and that makes a big difference. Once you start making demands and complaining the battle is lost.
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:49 pm

Definetly helpful! I am sending it to the people I work with! RSPKT! Ha!
    No se quien soy, pero se de que huyo. M.Montaigne
    Twitter: @popversus / @esegabbo
  • ilan

by ilan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:04 pm

To receive respect one must be respectful as well. Its a symbiotic relationship.

The best VJ's I have met have been also some of the kindest people I have ever met. Deep Visual, VJ Culture (an interview with him has been posted on our blog yesterday) both of whom I have met are extremely friendly people. It just takes a little bit of both kindness and firmness to establish a feeling of commonality so that the people you are working with work not against you but with you.