gui boratto's new audio visual album gigs
  • cadudatoro

gui boratto's new audio visual album gigs

by cadudatoro » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Dear friends , I'm a video producer from Brasil , working a long time ago with braziliam producer Gui Boratto. For this New album we produce some special videos . We start to use a P-10 Edirol video presenter and one V-8 video mixer , but in other gigs we start to produce another material and the P-10 is not enough because we start to mixing with different layers using alpha channels and chroma key layered material (some time using some luma key also) , so i start to use the modul8 2.5.4

the trick is we mapping the p-10 to control modul8 using my old motion tokyo dive hardware control to pass trough MIDI/USB so in the gigs i could control both p-10 and modul8
    my dream is map the abbleton live and modul8 to trigger every special video with start of every tune , in fact i really want to know if is possible also to correct the bpm in real time

the videos also is avaiable @: www.datoro.com

i need to say also we put the priority on produce everything before and only synch let the video go with right BPM , for now this is done using manual start and the synch is controlled by myself and gui using knobs and velocity

if someone could help me to make this more Automatic i really appreciate the help!

thanks in advance!

cadu

toro production company
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:43 am

I'm not entirely sure what you asking, but i think your asking how can modul8 + ableton live + external hardware be synched up to bpm and have the ability to alter the bpm + and -
    I did this using a midi word clock source which worked much better than the IAC driver that is built in to the mac. I first used a clock source on an allen and heath xone 3d but the tempo needed to be tapped in.
    So i used an old korg synth that had a clock and the tempo can be changed via a jog dial which works much better.
    My next task is to split the midi signal from the korg and send it to another mac to be used as another clock source to keep everything locked.
    There is a specific midi word clock device on the market but i couldnt find one in the uk. If this is what your looking for i could post url.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 pm

If you're using Ableton you don't need anything else for the MDI clock, just use the MIDI clock in Ableton and synch md8 to it. Using Audio/MIDI set up on the Mac you can route MIDI anyway you want it to networked computers.
  • cadudatoro

by cadudatoro » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:30 pm

thanks for all!

but try to imagine , all videos is produced in 120 bpm , sometime we play in 126 bpm , there's some way to tell to modul8 to speed the video at same time with abbleton?
    in other words , translate the speed of modul8 in bpms

thanks!

cadu
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:34 am

Thats a tricky one because the bpm global or bpm layer of modul8 doesn't relate to the speed of a layer. The only way i can think of doing this would be to find out what the increments are on the master speed control module relative to actual bpm and then plot this as a graph to work out where the speed needs to be set for a particular bpm. If you knew this you could then create midi clips to trigger the speed to change to required bpm.
    The only problem with this would be you wouldnt be able to change tempo in ableton half way through a track or in the mix.
    Personally i found the IAC driver for routing midi internally unreliable and needed regular re synching, especially if you change the tempo in ableton. With a midi word clock it just stayed synched. Although this might just be on my computer as i have a ridiculous amount of midi connected.
  • cadudatoro

by cadudatoro » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am

hum... ok ... sounds a problem... thanks anyway!