what projector?
  • dan.b

what projector?

by dan.b » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:53 am

I would like to know, please, how many annd which model of projectors has been used in the performances by modul8 team shown in the gallery, and anyway what you suggest in terms of ansi lumen minimum value, optimal placement of the projector, material used for the screens in order to obtain that light and sharpness amount. thanks.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:56 pm

I think it depends on where you'll use your projector. Outside or inside, etc. will there be lights around or not but the fact is that lumens are proportionnal with the price of your projector... (the quality too)
    I know that these pictures are a mix of different events so differents projectors too
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:17 pm

Actually we use a different type of projectors from 2400 lum to 10000 lum.
    We use usually projectors between 2400 - 3500 lum.
    Each installation is different, it is the same thing for the screens.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • studioc
    activ8 member

by studioc » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:10 pm

I had been using a 1400 lumen SVGA projector that worked well in clubs where I could get stage lights dimmed. But I just went and bought an Epson 81p 2000 lumen XVGA that does a much better job. It worked well projecting on a stage with lights and all. A little bit more money, say $500US will get you up to the 2500 lumen range that Boris suggests. You're not gonna see a 10,000 lumen projector unless you gots alot o' dough. Like a Barco. BTW, you don't always need so much lumens. In fact, on VJCentral forums there was a recent discussion where some VJs said that they actually preferred lower lumens machines, as the audience enjoyed the "darker" experience in the club. Check to see that your projector has a function where you can set it on "economode," which reduces lumen output while simultaneously saving the life of the bulb by a third. Like the previous posts suggest, it all has to do with what you want to do. Remember that the "throw," the distance from the screen, is usually around 30 feet for a maximum projection of 300 inches (20 feet?). A high output barco projector can have a throw of 100 feet for a hwhopping 50 foot cinematic image appropriate for a real theater. Check the specs and your wallet and your projection environment and try to make them all mesh.
    The Revolution must be televised!
  • dan.b

by dan.b » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:48 pm

tnx. ...interesting this thing of darker appreciation.
    so, around 2000/2500 would be good for different applications and places..
    let's talk about the screens..
    i saw very different offers also in this field, some of them particulars, like italians ViVaScreen, but was considering the chance to built my self the screens, so i'm lookin for which material could be better in terms of reflection and transparency (and, of course, bucks), e.g. i found a semi-rigid flexible pvc foils, available in different thikness, 2 mt height that seems economic, practical to use, resistent to movements and light but I don't know about projection response.
    I'm also interested in things like how to duplicate the image from one projector to more screens, supposing to use lens and/or mirrors to do it.
    Any experience in that ?
  • catmitelton

Re: what projector?

by catmitelton » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:56 am

i saw very different offers also in this field, some of them particulars, like italians