New G5
    yves@garagecube
    master

New G5

by yves@garagecube » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:51 pm

Great news for Modul8 users: Apple finally released machines with full PCI Express support today. It means better bandwidth between the graphic card and the main memory.

Mostly, it features three PCI-E slots : the possibility of having three graphic cards with dual output fully accelerated (six VGA outputs). We still have to test it, but in theory, it opens the world of fast multiple projections on the same machine. We were waiting for these machines for quiet a bit of time.

This is really great and means more cool stuff coming with the 2.5. :D
  • studioc
    activ8 member

by studioc » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:59 am

Yves - i just visited Apple's site and they claim that you can put up to 4 NVidea 6600 graphics cards in those machines, with up to 8 vga outs! I posted on VJForums (DJNada) 'cause I was so excited to hear about this. I know alot of people on the forums are talking geodesic surround and the like. Now the question for me is this. What sort of software will we need to split that signal and send it out to 8 simultaneous projectors, creating a "seamless' surround image from one original QT file? i am supposing that when you stretch your assets out to 8 projectors, HD is going to be handy. Do you think there will be support for this in some future iteration of M8, say modul8 version 4? :lol: 8) :D
    The Revolution must be televised!
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:01 am

studioc wrote:Do you think there will be support for this in some future iteration of M8, say modul8 version 4? :lol: 8) :D

We plan to add some support for multiple output in the Modul8 2.5, now that the machines are finally here. So, no you won't have to wait the V4.0. :D
  • studioc
    activ8 member

by studioc » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:46 pm

Very cool, indeed! 8) :D
    The Revolution must be televised!
    Jesper Fryd
    activ8 member

by Jesper Fryd » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:51 pm

yves@garagecube wrote:
    studioc wrote:Do you think there will be support for this in some future iteration of M8, say modul8 version 4? :lol: 8) :D

We plan to add some support for multiple output in the Modul8 2.5, now that the machines are finally here. So, no you won't have to wait the V4.0. :D

how do you plan on implementing it in the GUI?
    one way - that I would like to see - would be to spilt the output like we know it into four (or more) blocks and send those to different outputs.

we can't wait - tell us! :D
    Jesper Fryd
    activ8 member

by Jesper Fryd » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:53 pm

one more thing:
    i don't have a G5 and i don't plan on buying one.
    but i saw this pcmcia-card for PowerBook (which is what i do have) which would add an extra DVI-out giving you two in total.

would that work with what you have in store for 2.5?
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:57 pm

Jesper Fryd wrote:one more thing:
    i don't have a G5 and i don't plan on buying one.
    but i saw this pcmcia-card for PowerBook (which is what i do have) which would add an extra DVI-out giving you two in total.

would that work with what you have in store for 2.5?

No, no no...
    no pci, no pcmcia is TO SLOW for that.
    Boris * garageCube team

Good one

by Guest » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:15 am

Very cool, indeed!

This is acctually a good idea, but I cant go along with it.. I'll PM you with my idea. ;)
    vjfj

by vjfj » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:20 pm

i just picked up a G5 dual core system and i must say it rocks!

but one thing i found out is VERY stupid:
    i spent the extra dough to get the NV 7800GT 256 MB gfx card which has 2 DVI outputs. apple provides you with a free DVI to vga adapter, and i bought a DVI to s.vhs/rca adpapter from them a while ago. guess what? you can't hook up both the cinema display AND the second cable at the same time! am i missing something here?

apple is supposed to be notorious for great design. was someone sleeping on this one? what should i do - saw off the edges of the cinema display cable and the adapter cables so i can have them both connected?

what do other people do?