Modul8 Thesis about animation
  • Marshall B

Modul8 Thesis about animation

by Marshall B » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 am

Hey everyone,
    I'm an animation student at the Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland, Oregon.
    My thesis is about the study of animation. I propose that the classical idea of animation is based on the study of biomechanics and motion. Many animated works throughout history utilize tools like the rotoscope in order to give their cartoons natural human-like appearance and motion. My thesis is to create a work which involves the viewer through live video feed (using Modul8) to show not just the biomechanics of animation, but the physiological processes of energy production which enable biomechanics to happen (cell metabolism, ATP synthesis, oxidation, etc.)

If anybody knows any works that also focus on this subject, I would love to see them!
    -Marshall B
  • ilan

Re: Modul8 Thesis about animation

by ilan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Interesting subject.

If you look at truly great animation works that involve the human form it should be noted that the movements that give them a life like appearance are based on observations of human movements but are then greatly exaggerated in order to amplify and convey emotions.

One of corners stones of this idea is skillfully outlined in the following document.
    sigmasix
    master

Re: Modul8 Thesis about animation

by sigmasix » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:54 pm