NEW TOY
    sigmasix
    master

NEW TOY

by sigmasix » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:42 pm

I found a new toy!! I'm already in love with it... It's 500$ but it seems VERY powerful

HERE
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:51 am

I don't understand yet how useful it could be to modul8, but sound-wise it surely is useful.

The price kills it though. I rather buy a Korg padKontrol.
  • momo_the_monster

by momo_the_monster » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:42 am

I just played with one of these today at the Maker Faire in San Mateo.

The price may seem high at first, but I had the pleasure of talking to one of the developers, and learning why. These are all hand-made locally - you are not paying China Labor prices, but living wages. You are investing in a company that believes in keeping their product adaptable and open to modification by its customers. You are supporting a small group of motivated innovators, much like the folks at garageCube.

Isn't there a big difference in the openness and support we get from the garageCube peeps versus [INSERT LARGE BRAND HERE]?

I'm very excited by what I've seen at the Faire - hope some of you have been able to make it out!
  • Akira
    ultim8 member

by Akira » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:13 pm

momo_the_monster wrote:Isn't there a big difference in the openness and support we get from the garageCube peeps versus [INSERT LARGE BRAND HERE]?

I'm very excited by what I've seen at the Faire - hope some of you have been able to make it out!

You are right about that, man. I'd be interested in reading about this "open-ended" architechture you speak about. How configurable/modifyable is it? That could make it worth the cash (besides the hand made origins, I already knew that, though I really don't pay much attention to that sort of details)