Locked 5 posts Page 1 of 1
Spatial Scanning and MacBook Air USB3.0
  • Fireatwilliam

Spatial Scanning and MacBook Air USB3.0

by Fireatwilliam » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Hey everyone this is my first post here. So most new computers these days have no FireWire ports as they are replaced with a faster USB3.0 / Thunderbolt. My question is... Does Spatial Scanner require only FireWire cameras or can I use a USB3.0 camera/webcam? Also, can anyone recommend one? Thanks.
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Spatial Scanning and MacBook Air USB3.0

by franz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:06 am

The SpaceScanner works with any Canon DSLR camera compatible with the Canon SDK
    (see compatible models here: http://www.madmapper.com/madmapper/specs/ )
    These camera are plugged to your computer using an USB cable, so they'll work with a MBA.

The SpaceScanner also work with any camcorder that is Quictkime compliant and connect with a firewire cable.
    the quality won't be as good tho'.

The SpaceScanner won't work with a usb-connected camcorder.

The cheapest camera so far has been the Canon 450D - or equivalent -
    NateMac
    activ8 member

by NateMac » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:24 pm

I use my Canon T2i/550D over USB, it works just fine. Great quality.
    ...Although there are sometime i've notices I had to reboot if you unplug the camera while running the program(MM 1.3). But at the end of the day it works just fine
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 am

NateMac wrote:I had to reboot if you unplug the camera while running the program(MM 1.3)

This is a known bug in the Canon SDK we use in MadMapper it could freeze OSX and/or your camera. For OSX freeze, you will have to reboot. For DSLR freeze, you will have to power off, remove the battery.
    David * GarageCUBE team * Modul8 developer
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 am

Fireatwilliam wrote:Does Spatial Scanner require only FireWire cameras or can I use a USB3.0 camera/webcam? Also, can anyone recommend one? Thanks.
    You could also use USB webcam that are compatible with QuickTime. You could simply use the integrated FaceTime HD webcam of your MacBookAir. However you will get a poorer result than with a Canon DSLR.

If you want to scan a 800x600 output, it is best to get a device capable of capturing the double of this resolution.

Beside their resolution, the problem with webcams on OSX is that it is difficult/impossible to disable auto-exposure, auto-focus, auto-whitebalance.

Regards
    David * GarageCUBE team * Modul8 developer
Locked 5 posts Page 1 of 1