Locked 11 posts Page 1 of 1
8 outputs
    desilenceStudio

8 outputs

by desilenceStudio » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Can Madmapper handle a 8640x1920px canvas (8 outputs)?
    ( using a new mac pro with d700 and 2x Datapathx4 configured as 8x1 portrait fullhd outputs )

Cheers,
    Søren
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: 8 outputs

by franz » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:04 pm

it should.
    my MPro hasn't arrived yet, still waiting, so I cannot confirm.
    That's a 4320*1920 res per physical output. Not sure if osx can output this resolution.

For 8 outputs, having 4 physical outputs with a Zotac (2x1920x1080) on each seems more reasonable.
    desilenceStudio

by desilenceStudio » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:29 pm

actually its 8 x 1080 x1920 (fullhd portrait) using 2 datapathx4 (or one datapathx4 + 4 mini dp outputs).
    I have been looking at the zotac dongles but been holding back since I was told that they get very hot?
  • Xaver2k
    super8 member

by Xaver2k » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:22 pm

i have one zotac miniDisplayport to dual HDMI adapter and it was already in use for some hours but it got never hot :!:
    desilenceStudio

by desilenceStudio » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks for the onto Xaver2k

I will buy one and try it out -

Startech is making a similar - albeit more expensive - product to the zotac:
    http://eu.startech.com/AV/Splitters/Dis ... SP122DP2HD
    It offers more flexibility with resolutions.

They also have one with 3 outputs -
    http://www.startech.com/AV/Splitters/Di ... er~SP123DP
    It does not require drivers like the Matrox triple head. It might be worth checking out as well.
  • Xaver2k
    super8 member

by Xaver2k » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:27 am

Take a look at the Connection the first link has a normal displayport input and hdmi output so maybe extra adapter to connect??
    the second link you send has only displayport connections so maybe more adapters??

the thing with the Zotac is, that i thought it would also be fun to use it at home one extra monitor left and one right ^^
    but OSX and windows cann´t handle it... they will only recognize it as one single large monitor, and it´s tricky to use (NO PROBLEM WITH MADMAPPER)
    in this case the matrox could be better (because of extra drivers and software), but its more expensive :roll:

but the zotac is much more cheaper, AND MADMAPPER WILL RECOGNIZE THE TWO DIFFERENT OUTPUTS!! :D
    so i would give it a try ^^
    desilenceStudio

by desilenceStudio » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41 am

Xaver2k - by 'onto' I meant 'info' :-)

I have been using the matrox tripplehead a lot over the years and are in general happy with them.
    But in a particular case I need to get 8-12 1080p60 outputs from one (new) mac pro.
    The datapathX4 solution is rock solid but also expensive ( 12 outputs sets you back almost €4000)

Zotac fits on paper perfectly for this particular solution (in this case it is for a fixed 24/7 installation so stability is important )
    Great to know that madmapper can see the outputs individually.

For most other projects I need more flexibility regarding available resolutions.
    For that the Startech solution could be ideal. Startech makes DP to DVI and VGA converters too. Actually I am using them for the tripplehead DP :-)

I am really happy with the performance and stability of madmapper and are constantly trying to find ways to avoid alternative video servers like pandora and watchout when possible. Having the option to go up to 12 outputs from one mac keeps the other at bay :-)

Cheers,
    Søren
  • Xaver2k
    super8 member

by Xaver2k » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:11 pm

according to apple specs http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5918
    "You can connect up to:

Six Apple Thunderbolt Displays (27-inch), Apple LED Cinema Displays (27-inch), or third-party Mini DisplayPort displays.
    Three 4K displays: two connected via Mini DisplayPort and one connected via HDMI.
    One 4K Ultra HD TV or 4K display using HDMI and four Apple Thunderbolt Displays (27-inch), Apple LED Cinema Displays (27-inch), or third-party Mini DisplayPort displays.
    Two HDMI (HD or 4K) devices: one connected via HDMI and one connected via Mini DisplayPort with an HDMI adapter (see note below)."

and they also not recommend to connect more then two displayport adapter to the mac pro...
    and not more then 2 display to each thunderbolt bus
    better take a closer look first there...
    but maybe you need to buy everything and give it try first

there is also an spec overview for other macs
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219
    at point 18. you find the supported display spec.

and i dont if there is an other possibility in counting Six Apple Thunderbolt Displays as 6x, 12x normal displays

Cheers,
    Francesco
    desilenceStudio

by desilenceStudio » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Yes I have seen that.

But if the bandwidth can handle 3x 3840x2160px (one pr. bus) then it should be able to deal with 12x 1920x1080px (4 pr. bus) as well. Same amount of pixels. Same bandwidth usage.
    That is my reasoning at least :-)

The 27" thunderbolt displays has a native resolution of 2560x1400px - using almost 60% more bandwidth than a fullhd resolution.
    I am more interested in connecting 12 x christie roadster 20K lumens projectors with up to fullhd resolution (or 8 eight for that matter) ;-)

Datapath has confirmed that 8 outputs will work with their hardware. I am waiting for their green-lighting but 12 probably will work too (one data path x4 pr. bus connected with DVI-DL)

The whole idea is of course keeping the cost pr output down. The datapath solution + 1 mac pro to get 12 outputs cost the same as two mac pros with 6 outputs each...
  • Xaver2k
    super8 member

by Xaver2k » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:10 pm

that sounds right :wink:
    i was thinking like that but was not sure about the resolutions

yeah the 12 fullhd output would be much better then 3x 3840x2160px!!

haha nice price comparement... it is difficult to choose but if you use 2 macs you will also need a video capture card to use some live input or visuals?
  • smashwolf

by smashwolf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 am

Anyone know how to break up a 1920x1208 inage into several SMALLER inages? WHat if I want to use MadMaper to map lots of LOW resolution projectors using one HD? Let's say a bunch of old NTSC projectors driven by a single HD frame diced up several ways? Is there a device outthere that is cost effective that can bare it down into several VGA or composite signals very cheaply whereby I can chose the geopmetric region of the screen each line outputs?

-smash
Locked 11 posts Page 1 of 1