Locked 30 posts
How to configure the video output?
  • Chase

Re: How to configure the video output ?

by Chase » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:02 am

My show last night was very successful! Here is how I configured my system to output to the projector (thanks again @vanakaru!)

I plugged the projector adapter into my Mini Diplay Port (on my MacBook Pro), at which point my computer immediately recognized the projector. I went to system preferences and turned off the 'mirror displays'. Because I was unsure about what would happen if I went to Full Screen mode, I simply dragged my 'Output Window' from my monitor onto the Projector's screen and enlarged it to fill the screen.

While I did not have the 'Output Window' on my own laptop screen, all I had to do was look up and see the 'Output Window' on the massive projection in front of me! Also, I was able to sort of use the 'Preview Window' as my 'Output Window', though obviously this was not ideal. When the images on my 'Preview Window' were the same as my 'Output Window' I would look up and many times I noticed that what the people in the crowd were actually seeing was very different than what I hoped they would be seeing. Because there was tons of smoke (due to fog machine) and all sorts of spot lights and coloured lights flashing all over the screen, I had to adjust my levels accordingly, obviously.

So anyway, I things went very well last night and I didn't even have to worry about going into Full Screen mode. Perhaps I wasn't using the program in the 'correct' way, but what matters is that it worked!
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:21 am

Chase wrote: I didn't even have to worry about going into Full Screen mode

Good that your show went well. You were lucky that nothing unexpected happened because the way you set this up is not the most reliable way to do it. You worry about wrong things. Full screen is reliable - while all what you did would make me worried specially if I would be not very experienced.
    Next time you have a show please do it right and do not worry when you set up Modul the right way.
    Also note that your visuals are as important as lighting. So talk to light guys and try to work out what and when is lighted. I have had many fights with these people. In princip they should not get any of the lights shining anything on the screen and also make sure the reflection off floor would not wash out the projection. The best would be to work with them together showing what you going to display and how this could be reinforced with lighting.
    Also make sure that smoke will not be blown between the screen and projector. These can be placed different ways.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm off for two days training this week on the chamsys lighting desk.
    no need to argue with the lighting guy, when you can just send him home and do his job better than he can.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:11 pm

deepvisual wrote:I'm off for two days training this week on the chamsys lighting desk.
    no need to argue with the lighting guy, when you can just send him home and do his job better than he can.

Well if you start with putting your preview window to external screen in order to optain full screen projection fist-fight with the light guy is your only option.
    I have not seen any light guy who wants to be sent home - mostly they are pretty arrogant bunch.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Chase wrote:I plugged the projector adapter into my Mini Diplay Port (on my MacBook Pro), at which point my computer immediately recognized the projector. I went to system preferences and turned off the 'mirror displays'. Because I was unsure about what would happen if I went to Full Screen mode, I simply dragged my 'Output Window' from my monitor onto the Projector's screen and enlarged it to fill the screen.

I'm happy for you that it went ok but I really don't understand the need for doing this when all you need to do is press cmd-U!

PS:
    When you're unsure about what will happen when going full screen you go full screen to find out!
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

Fullscreen only works on first monitor ? Why

by pele2010 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi Modul8 Forum,

i´ve set up the Projektor and the mac pro.

i´ve rooted the the first and second display.

1 display is my mac pro
    2 display my projector

back in M8 if i toggle between fullscrenn and non the fullscreen displays on my
    first display although it should display on the second?

if i transfer the status bar in the preferences to the second display, then
    the fullscreen ist displayed for the projector.

But then the menu bar of modul8 is located in the projection ...

How can i fix that. Is there any other way to tell M8 which displays first and second ?

Thanx in advanced ...

Peter
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
    Valparaiiso
    activ8 member

by Valparaiiso » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 am

@Pele2010
    But then the menu bar of modul8 is located in the projection ..

Quit M8, open Preferences' monitor Panel, drag your white menubar from one screen to another, the monitor which has the menubar is considered as the main display.
    Then launch M8.
    You always should set monitors BEFORE running M8.
  • billybouki

by billybouki » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:16 am

Hllo guys,

my projector output consisently fullscreens on my macbookpro screen with a projector connected.tries changing the menubar but not a good option.

thanks
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:27 am

make sure advanced output is turned off
  • wiger123

Re: How to configure the video output?

by wiger123 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks
  • metaharmony

by metaharmony » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:29 pm

HI!!
    I've downloaded the demo version of Modul8 and I can't see the output on my second monitor. My computer (a macbook pro) is correctly set... any clue...?

thanks
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:02 pm

[quote] My computer (a macbook pro) is correctly set... any clue...?/[quote]

can you post a screenshot?

system preferences set up? (do not sync monitors)

did you: go to full screen mode (cmd U)

can you see the desktop of the computer?

kind regards peter
  • ranaenovak

by ranaenovak » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:22 am

watch jav online free http://javtop.me/
  • Gallinette

by Gallinette » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Hello
    I have a problem to set the output to the second screen on my computer, my macbook pro is set on osx El capitan 10.11.6 could it be because of El capitan?
    Basically what happens is that when i turn the full screen on it doesnt go on the second screen but it goes on the main screen and i cant work on my videos on the modul8 interface.
    I ve checked the system preferences/monitors/arrangement - unchecked mirror displays etc.. It still doesnt work.
    I can read stuff on my second screen with other softwares though.
    Can you help?
    Thanks
  • Gallinette

by Gallinette » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:48 pm

"make sure advanced output is turned off"
    Thank you! I managed to make it work!!
Locked 30 posts