PC Hardware check
  • tactilejp

PC Hardware check

by tactilejp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 am

Hi all,

this is my first time i'm using madmapper in a project, we are setting an installation with 6 WUXGA projectors run by a PC with Nvidia NVS 810 that manage the 6 projectors + the control monitor.

We are experiencing some performance issue ( file not loaded entirely, skipped frame and sound ), not sure if is the machine problem, software or the files we are producing.

I'm trying to find a solution to this and I would like to understand which direction to go, buy a more performing PC or change to a Mac or different file management.

Currently we render to 1 file with resolution of 12580*568 with HAP codec spanned on the 6 projectors.
    I tried other codec, but nothing seem even be able to play, mp4 ( h264), MOV photo-jpg.

I found this post by mad-matt
    I have no experience with Datapath products (it has good reputation through). When I do multi-output on a Mac Pro, I connect 6 screens with active MiniDP->HDMI adapters - about 20$ each and we can have 60 FPS on 6x Full HD with many HD movies playing. Use latest MadMapper for best performances.
    I would like to know, which MAC PRO are you using and which OS version. I used before for another project, used the Mac Pro Bin, but the output trough the MiniDP was limited to 3. In case can i output 6 projectors + 1 monitor?

Anyone can offer some insight?

Thanks a lot
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: PC Hardware check

by mad-matt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 am

On PC, HAP is not hardware accelerated. You should use h264 and activate the "Use hardware acceleration" option (in the move parameters).
    On MacPro to get more than 4 outputs you have to use active adapters, ie https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Min ... B00AYAF3MQ
    I only use active ones and can plug 6 screens without issue. I never succeed getting 7...
    Datapath X4 is an option also but 1000$...
  • tactilejp

by tactilejp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks for the reply!
    I will try again with the h264 quicktime/mp4 but last time I've tried the file wasn't even playing.
    Tomorrow I'm going to the client place and test it.

Mp4 converted by Handbrake is a good way?

Yes Datapath is an expensive option...

Cheers for the Active adaptor, didn't know it before. Need to see if I can find it in Japan ( probably yes)
    I will test it next time
    On PC, HAP is not hardware accelerated. You should use h264 and activate the "Use hardware acceleration" option (in the move parameters).
    On MacPro to get more than 4 outputs you have to use active adapters, ie https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Min ... B00AYAF3MQ
    I only use active ones and can plug 6 screens without issue. I never succeed getting 7...
    Datapath X4 is an option also but 1000$...
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Handbrake is ok. Use H264, all GPUs have the best hardware decoding for this format (windows & mac). On PC you have to activate hardware acceleration manually.
    There are tons of active adapters, you can use other brand.
  • tactilejp

by tactilejp » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:23 am

Yes, i've tried on the client PC an mp4 H264, but when I activate the hardware acceleration the file won't play anything. All black.

I'm new to the PC world, do you recon i need to install some codec?

I'm buying the adapters, i find two type, one normal and one with the IDID manager, I do not need that right? becase it's way too expensive

thanks
    Handbrake is ok. Use H264, all GPUs have the best hardware decoding for this format (windows & mac). On PC you have to activate hardware acceleration manually.
    There are tons of active adapters, you can use other brand.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:11 pm

About the MiniDP-HDMI adapters: correct, EDID is not needed. Personally I have 6 of those and never had issue: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Min ... B00AYAF3MQ

About the MP4 on Windows: when activating Hardware Acceleration, MadMapper will use DXVA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_V ... celeration) hardware decoding, it means that GPU / graphics card (generally) is the component decoding the video. The CPU is only used to read from the hard drive, extract video packets and send encoded H264 stream to the GPU.
    If the picture is black with hardware acceleration, it means there's something wrong with DXVA decoding. You can try to update your graphics card drivers.
  • tactilejp

by tactilejp » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks for your quick answer.

I've checked the same file on three different PC but the result is always the same, as soon I check the HARDWARE ACCELERATION box the video go black and don't play. The graphic cards driver installed are the latest.
    Is not anything else is missing?
    About the MP4 on Windows: when activating Hardware Acceleration, MadMapper will use DXVA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_V ... celeration) hardware decoding, it means that GPU / graphics card (generally) is the component decoding the video. The CPU is only used to read from the hard drive, extract video packets and send encoded H264 stream to the GPU.
    If the picture is black with hardware acceleration, it means there's something wrong with DXVA decoding. You can try to update your graphics card drivers.