LEDs Equipment & Diagrams
  • Blkgirlmagic

LEDs Equipment & Diagrams

by Blkgirlmagic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello,
    I have purchased two MiniMads, Modul8, and the software. What equipment do I need to control LED's? I see you have the USB DMX Controller, but I need to start sourcing here in the USA. Can I use any DMX USB Controller? A list of Equipment & Diagram for setup would be great to find here in the USA. Would love to get up and running asap!
    Thank you,
    Blkgirlmagic
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: LEDs Equipment & Diagrams

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 pm

There are various kind of LED equipment: LEDs controlled by DMX or LEDs controlled directly with a LED electronic protocol like WS2811/WS2812/APA102 etc. (generally cheaper but not a lot of pre-manufactured hardware exists using directly those protocol, lots of people create their hardware including a digital LED strip, a plug etc. depending on their needs)

In case of LEDs controlled with DMX,
    if you are in a small setup, a USB DMX is ok if you need only one universe (512 channel - 170 RGB pixels)
    if you think you need more universes, a ArtNet -> DMX node is better. ArtNet is a network protocol to transmit DMX. You can control up to 32768 DMX universes (MadMapper supports up to 4096, people reported 1000 universes successfully from a single computer)
    There are ArtNet -> DMX nodes with 1,2,4,8,16... universes.

In case you want to control digital LED strips, MadMapper will send ArtNet or sACN (network protocol) so no need for any USB or DMX thing. A LED controller will receive the network packets containing DMX data and will drive the LEDs with the appropriated protocol (you specify in the controller setup which type of LEDs you plugged to each output and how many)

Our blog is down but you can check our tutorials. Don't hesitate if you have more questions
  • Blkgirlmagic

by Blkgirlmagic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Thank you Mad Matt!
    I went in on two more USB DMX Controllers! Should be shipping from you soon to NYC!
    Appreciate the information!
    Best,
    Blkgirlmapper!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:17 am

MadMapper supports only a single USB DMX output (one universe). If you want to use more you'll have to check the MadRouter - free for MM users - available from yourspace (no windows build yet)