Audio Input
  • noahnoah

Audio Input

by noahnoah » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi, I'm trying to make something related to the Audio Input system in madmapper, and it doesn't work.
    I have two questions.. Plz help!!!!!

Q1. I added audio input to the material. Due to the sound value that gets between 0 ~ 1,
    the shape doesn't show up the way that I want. I only moves between the range 0 to 1.
    (For example, I wanted to used the material named wobblyCircles and put the audio input system to Iterations value.
    however, it doesn't go up to the standard level that I want because of the audio's small input.)
    Therefore, I want to multiple 5 or 10 in order to fulfill the range.
    Is this possible? or Is there other ways to effectively handle the audio input.

Q2. I wanted the madmapper to diagnose(read) the interior audio file. So I downloaded the Ableton live and tried to sink the ableton and madmapper. and here has the problem.
    According to the reference video that I'm watching now, I need to change "MIDI to" to Madmapper in.
    and I'm not going to use the MIDI inside of the Ableton live, What should I do???
    Is there any way the madmapper read the audio file?

Thank you for your attention!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Audio Input

by mad-matt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 pm

Q1: two solutions
    - you can amplify audio input level from Master tab (last tab on the top left of the UI) / Audio Input Level slider.
    - in the Control you created, you can change the source range to 0-0.2 for instance, so from 0 to 0.2 in the source, the target will move from 0-1, so multiplying by 5

Q2: MadMapper 4.0 will read audio file, in MadMapper 3 you have to create a movie with an audio track to use it.
    But there is another option: if you're on macOS you can install soundflower, it creates virtual inputs & outputs on your system. You can cchoose SoundFlower as audio output in Live and SoundFlower as audio input in MadMapper. That creates a local loopback. You'll receive Live output in MadMapper on the same machine.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Audio Input

by jasonbeyers » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Aside from Soundflower, I’d highly suggest Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback Audio, when on Mac. It essentially does the same thing, but unlike soundflower, it continues working after each Mac OSX update. Loopback costs around $20 I think, but it has proven a lot more stable.

Combine loopback with rogue amoeba’s other offering (Audio Hijack), and you can create multiple audio stages in a pipeline with delay artificially induced. That way if the audio reactivity in MM has a 50ms delay, you can then delay the final audio output by 50ms (delaying just what you hear, not what MM hears) to get things perfectly in sync.

This works great for other audio-reactive viz software too. Even with small audio buffers there will always be a lag.

I pipe audio from Ableton Live (as well as Djay Pro & Traktor) through Loopback Audio so that MM can read the audio spectrum, but also use Ableton Link to get the beats aligned. It sounds like you want to avoid sending MIDI signals from Live — have you considered OSC? If you have Live Suite, I can send you a M4L patch specific to MM to do basic things like trigger cues in row X + column Y, if that would be helpful. Then you can automate those alongside your audio file (the patch uses OSC).