LED Pixel Driver Artnet or DMX
  • ProjectileObjects
    activ8 member

LED Pixel Driver Artnet or DMX

by ProjectileObjects » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 pm

I have a pixlite 16 and it is great, but big. I can simply run ethernet from my mac to the board and gain all the functionalities of madlight. Why anyone would want to add the cost of DMX and adapters (all of which can be used with this board) I do not understand. I've had great success with making $5 USB to DMX boxes and was curious if there is an inexpensive smaller DMX LED pixel driver that I should try. Thus far, I've seen a lot with RJ45 only jacks. Seems like the less expensive ($20) drivers phase out the 3 pin DMX XLR port. If I want a more compact setup for running 2 RGBW LED strips? or should I skip DMX all together and buy a pixlite 4?

I've seen the Teensy/ Arduino sketches; will they power 2 LED strips and/or some of the DMX pixel controllers I've seen are $20 and so is the latest Teensy. I'd rather have something that works out of the box for the same price.

Ideas?

This project doesn't need high FPS, is there a direct WIFI LED Pixel Driver with Artnet that works with Madmapper?

Thanks
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: LED Pixel Driver Artnet or DMX

by mad-matt » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi,

Teensy stuff can drive a lot of LEDs, but it's not a professionnal setup except if you get a box for the teensy and properly cable your LEDs, clean soldering etc. Pixelite isn't expansive for the electronics there, you have one fuse on each output, no risk to burn anything if you do bad things with your cables etc.

> is there a direct WIFI LED Pixel Driver with Artnet that works with Madmapper

MadMapper is ArtNet 2-3-4 compatible so, any ArtNet device on the market should be compatible. But I don't know about wifi LED pixel drivers. People generally don't want to rely on ArtNet in installations.
  • ProjectileObjects
    activ8 member

by ProjectileObjects » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 am

Thanks for the info Matt, very helpful.
  • waynabrossas

by waynabrossas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 pm

Hello,

I regularly use Wifi ESP8266 to drive some led strips on my mapping installations, when i want the setup to be easy and fast to install.
    I find it quite responsive and reliable, enough to use it in live condition to send some effects with no visible latency.

The wifi modules i'm using are these ones:
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/2471

and using this code:
    https://github.com/mtongnz/ESP8266_ArtNetNode_v2

After few successes running it with around 250 pixels, i am right now doing some tests with leds matrices, to see the limits of these little chips.

You can see the current tests here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBOHhN ... L7OJqfn0BW

So far it is able to handle to run 960 pixels on a single chip, but with some latency (depending on the type of animation i am sending -> between 0.2 seconds and 1.5 seconds). I'm running out of leds for now, but i'm pretty shure the chip can handle more.

I found the latency ok with 512 pixels, enough to work with in live, but i have to continue my tests, i have started yesterday. ;)

I will keep you in touch
    Wayna