Problem with Video Capture
  • joaquin_bossie

Problem with Video Capture

by joaquin_bossie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello everyone

I am starting to test the V3.1.1 DEMO under Windows 7, my CPU has a 3770K I7, 16GB RAM, SSD disk and ATI Firepro W7100 video card.

For the video capture I am using Magewell USB3.0 card and capturing in madmapper in 1920x1080. The quality is acceptable, and the delay does not worry me as it is just to capture visuals from another computer.

The problem is that after a few hours of operation, the capture was frozen. I check this for three continuous days, always after more than 6 hours, freezes. Also check the native capture application (without Madmapper), and it worked well for more than 24 hours.

Does anyone have a system with video capture in continuous operation? Do you know which hardware can work better?

Thank you very much for the time,

Greetings from Argentina,

Joaquin Bossie
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Problem with Video Capture

by mad-matt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi,
    I'll ask the developer who did the DirectShow implementation to check it. Can you see if memory usage is increasing ?
    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Matthieu
  • simo86

by simo86 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Same problem with same capture card on Mini Mac and Mac book pro, I need to restart MadMapper after a while.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:40 pm

Sorry for the late answer. We fixed this issue in 3.2.
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Sorry for the late answer. We fixed this issue in 3.2.
    I still have te same issue with a black magic capture card.
    It freezes the input after a while.
    Now trying to use the mysterious "keep camera running toggle"
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu May 17, 2018 11:19 am

"keep camera running" means that even if the camera is not shown on any surface or preview, MadMapper will not stop the video streaming / decompression process, so it's always running and ready to use, without waiting for half a second for the capture process to start in the driver/hardware. So it won't help.
    How long does it take to freeze ?
    Can you tell us your setup ? Which Blackmagic device, OS version, MadMapper version etc.
    Does it happen it you let BlackMagic Media Express running for the same amount of time ?
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Fri May 18, 2018 9:30 am

"keep camera running" means that even if the camera is not shown on any surface or preview, MadMapper will not stop the video streaming / decompression process, so it's always running and ready to use, without waiting for half a second for the capture process to start in the driver/hardware. So it won't help.
    How long does it take to freeze ?
    Can you tell us your setup ? Which Blackmagic device, OS version, MadMapper version etc.
    Does it happen it you let BlackMagic Media Express running for the same amount of time ?
    It's a windows 10 system based on i5 with gtx1050ti.
    In OBS it has run a day and a night but as soon as I use MM it has a freeze after 2 hours or so.
    Device is a blackmagic intensity shuttle
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 am

I'm starting tests with a blackmagic card and couldn't find any issue. I'll come back to your on tuesday.
    Be sure you are up to date with BlackMagic Desktop Video
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Fri May 18, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm starting tests with a blackmagic card right now.
    Be sure you are up to date with BlackMagic Desktop Video
    I have the latest drivers.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri May 18, 2018 3:17 pm

When it freezes, is it only the backmagic, or is it all the outputs ? You are using demo version right ? Why not using 3.3.1 ?
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Fri May 18, 2018 3:36 pm

When it freezes, is it only the backmagic, or is it all the outputs ? You are using demo version right ? Why not using 3.3.1 ?
    I'm not using demo, i'm using demo on my Macpro. (running 3 or 4 licenses on 6 or 8 pc's i've kind of lost track :oops: )
    And It's not the capture card that freezes, after a restart of madmapper it works instantly. Or without restart it's possible to change to one of the pre-made clips so I guess it just stops the live input.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri May 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Ok, so I suppose we're no more receiving frames from the BlackMagic SDK. I'll try to reproduce the problem in the office.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu May 31, 2018 9:45 am

I've been running a test on Windows with PCI card Intensity Pro for 72 hours without problem. Since the API calls are the same whatever the device, MadMapper seems to handle the API correctly and the issue .
    Your issue with BlackMagic is not related to the original issue of this thread, which was related to cameras handled with DirectShow API (part of DirectX), bug that we fixed since.
    BlackMagic devices are handled with BlackMagic Video SDK, a native implementation, except if you unchecked "Enable BlackMagic devices" in MadMapper Preferences / Misc.

Is it running for a long time if you let BlackMagic Media Express capture the stream for a few hours ?
    I don't know how OBS handles BlackMagic. However I think of another possible issue: on macOS only one application can open the SDK, on Windows it's different. I had BlackMagic Media Express running and capturing my stream and when I started MadMapper, Media Express stopped and MadMapper could display the stream. So be sure you don't start any other application that uses BlackMagic SDK or even a BlackMagic Direct Show filter. Basically you should test running just MadMapper and doing nothing else on the machine.
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:36 am

I've been running a test on Windows with PCI card Intensity Pro for 72 hours without problem. Since the API calls are the same whatever the device, MadMapper seems to handle the API correctly and the issue .
    Your issue with BlackMagic is not related to the original issue of this thread, which was related to cameras handled with DirectShow API (part of DirectX), bug that we fixed since.
    BlackMagic devices are handled with BlackMagic Video SDK, a native implementation, except if you unchecked "Enable BlackMagic devices" in MadMapper Preferences / Misc.

Is it running for a long time if you let BlackMagic Media Express capture the stream for a few hours ?
    I don't know how OBS handles BlackMagic. However I think of another possible issue: on macOS only one application can open the SDK, on Windows it's different. I had BlackMagic Media Express running and capturing my stream and when I started MadMapper, Media Express stopped and MadMapper could display the stream. So be sure you don't start any other application that uses BlackMagic SDK or even a BlackMagic Direct Show filter. Basically you should test running just MadMapper and doing nothing else on the machine.
    Done all of that, but it seems to freeze somewhere between 10 and 19 hours.
    Only running MM and somehow it stops.
    Will try another capture card since my feeling says it's a blackmagic issue instead of the pc's.
    Also quality of blackmagic is terrible, max 1080i
  • Teunkneus
    activ8 member

by Teunkneus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Done all of that, but it seems to freeze somewhere between 10 and 19 hours.
    Only running MM and somehow it stops.
    Will try another capture card since my feeling says it's a blackmagic issue instead of the pc's.
    Also quality of blackmagic is terrible, max 1080i
    Did the test with a inogeni 4k capture card and this thing works like a charm!
    So to answer my own question. Don't use black magic shuttle since this thing is actually quite worthless.